+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee dependants-Home

No namer

Feb 12, 2024
Hello,

in 2020 my mother applied for refugee applications and since i was her dependent (under 18) i was under of her case too automatically. in 2022 she got accepted in her case and applied for PR . we have not received the PR but my question is can i go back to my country for visit since my life is not in danger and it is her who can not go to the country?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

in 2020 my mother applied for refugee applications and since i was her dependent (under 18) i was under of her case too automatically. in 2022 she got accepted in her case and applied for PR . we have not received the PR but my question is can i go back to my country for visit since my life is not in danger and it is her who can not go to the country?
Would personally not suggest returning to your home country until you have PR because you may have difficult returning to Canada but yes you can return to your home country and use your home country passport if the whole family didn’t claim asylum only your mother did. Your mother should not use her home country passport or travel to her home country until she is a Canadian citizen. If her life was at risk then even traveling as a Canadian system could be very risky.

No namer

Feb 12, 2024
Thank you so much for the info . what if i was part of the asylum since i was a minor but principle applicant is my mother, basically no danger for me to go back . I am going to wait until PR but what happens when I come back ?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you so much for the info . what if i was part of the asylum since i was a minor but principle applicant is my mother, basically no danger for me to go back . I am going to wait until PR but what happens when I come back ?
If you were in Canada and appears as Associate Claimant, you are subjected to the same conditions as of your mother. If your name appears on Notice of Decision then you are protected person. If you chose to leave Canada back to the country of origin, it is re-availment.

Reactions: scylla

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Would personally not suggest returning to your home country until you have PR because you may have difficult returning to Canada but yes you can return to your home country and use your home country passport if the whole family didn’t claim asylum only your mother did. Your mother should not use her home country passport or travel to her home country until she is a Canadian citizen. If her life was at risk then even traveling as a Canadian system could be very risky.
Poster was part of the claim, so he/she is Associate Claimant. Same rules applies and can not leave back to country of origin until becoming Canadian Citizen

Reactions: scylla