+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant Moving from Ontario to BC

4emad4

Star Member
Apr 26, 2019
Hey I’m a refugee claimant I applied on Feb 20th and I have a question about my refugee claim whither I need to move it or not and is this will slow the process or it will be the same ?
Thanks

RefugeeClaim1

Apr 5, 2020
I think you do not need to transfer your file. Just inform the IRB about your new address and they will arrange for the hearing in your new location even if it is done through videoconference. This is what I was told by my lawyer when I asked about moving provinces. But you need to double check.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need to switch lawyers if you are receiving legal aid. Immigration is federal so there is no point in moving if you are just trying to get a hearing faster.

Shali1992

Mar 3, 2020
Hi
I want to know weather I can travel from ontario to edmonton after applying for refugee protection claimant. I am eligible to apply. My visa expired. Can I travel within canada with that document?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I want to know weather I can travel from ontario to edmonton after applying for refugee protection claimant. I am eligible to apply. My visa expired. Can I travel within canada with that document?
If you move to a different province and use legal aid or have applied for social assistance you must reapply in the province.

Shali1992

Mar 3, 2020
If you move to a different province and use legal aid or have applied for social assistance you must reapply in the province.
Thank you. But can I fly since my visa and work permit is not valid anymore? But I have my passport.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. But can I fly since my visa and work permit is not valid anymore? But I have my passport.
Yes you can fly. Assume you also will have your paperwork that you have filed for asylum if ever you are question etc about your lack of status in Canada.

vagonbrei

Oct 27, 2020
You can move elsewhere in Canada if you are a refugee claimant. If your claim has been referred to the RPD, make sure you tell the IRB of your new address and update IRCC or CBSA (whichever agency completed your intake)