+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claimant married

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We both just come here just for master degree and want to start a business in my back country but now in my country so much going on .. that’s why I came back even my partner wanna go back after her studies completed but now even she also can’t back to country due to unfamiliar situation
If you returned home and realized that the situation was bad why didn’t you apply for PGWP. How long has you returned to your home country? Did your girlfriend visit you during that time? These are the type of things that will come up.

Herobajwa

Jan 19, 2020
Hi so if my partner get PR and she put my name in her PR file. And after I withdraw my asylum case then . Can I live with partner in Canada or I have to go back to my country

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi so if my partner get PR and she put my name in her PR file. And after I withdraw my asylum case then . Can I live with partner in Canada or I have to go back to my country
You would be living illegally and could get deported until you and your partner get PR. Withdrawing asylum will initiate a removal order. Unfortunately claiming asylum could cause you problems travelling for years to come as well. Would anticipate that there will be a lot of scrutiny on your marriage based on the timing so the PR process could take longer. I assume you have a private lawyer. If you have taken legal aid you must update your status including the funds of your wife.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can a wife of refugee claimant visit him in Canada?
Where is the wife located? Most likely she would require a TRV to come to Canada. Unless she already has an approved TRV, she can expect the TRV application will be refused due to the husband's status in Canada.

Folufx28

Sep 2, 2019
Where is the wife located? Most likely she would require a TRV to come to Canada. Unless she already has an approved TRV, she can expect the TRV application will be refused due to the husband's status in Canada.[/QUOTE

She's located in Nigeria. I don't know about TRV please can u educate me?

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Anyone please what should I do now ?
Either you were wrongly advice or didn't seek advice. Making a claim and withdrawing it, when it's likely to be refused or the outcome is negative at first hearing. With your Master degree in Canada, there are many immigration streams you could have used to stay legally. The only suggestion in my opinion, is that, if your marriage is genuine you can update your refugee file with IRB and make same copy to IRCC. Your legal representative or consultant will guide you on this. If you're lucky, the member (IRB decision-maker) may put your claim under consideration on public policy for sake of a family member or interest of a child, where applicable. However, if your partner isn't a Citizen or PR, just forget it. A marriage to a foreign national on temporary resident status don't really hold weight in your case.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
[/QUOT

TRV is temporary resident visa. It is highly unlikely that your wife will be granted a TRV. The chances of her not staying after a visit are almost 100%. You can certainly try but don’t buy a ticket and be prepared that you will likely get a refusal.
The fact that you are only a refugee claimant will also be a concern because it is a Ling process to deport a person if they are denied. There are many people who do not receive asylum from Nigeria.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Either you were wrongly advice or didn't seek advice. Making a claim and withdrawing it, when there's it's likely to be refused or the outcome is negative at first hearing. With your Master degree in Canada, there are many immigration streams you could have used to stay legally. The only suggestion in my opinion, is that, if your marriage is genuine you can update your refugee file with IRB and make same copy to IRCC. Your legal representative or consultant will guide you on this. If you're lucky, the member (IRB decision-maker) may put your claim under consideration on public policy for sake of a family member or interest of a child. However, if your partner isn't a Citizen or PR, just forget it. A marriage to a foreign national on temporary resident status don't really hold weight in your case.
Think you are getting confused. The member can’t transfer an asylum claimant to an H&C case. You have to apply for one yourself. Don’t believe @Herobajwa qualifies at the moment.

Reactions: k.h.p.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Think you are getting confused. The member can’t transfer an asylum claimant to an H&C case. You have to apply for one yourself. Don’t believe @Herobajwa qualifies at the moment.
I never suggested such. What I meant is that, if the OP made a claim as a single and got married while the claim isn't yet finalize. The file can be updated as married, with child if any from the union, under Canada's humanitarian traditions of the refugee process and practice and not H&C consideration which mostly will be the last resort.

Last edited: