+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claim rejected - Don't know what to do

Anita670

Jan 20, 2021
My refugee claim was rejected saying that I don't have enough proof to prove that what I was saying was true. I can still appeal to RAD but I don't have a lawyer. Should I apply for legal aid or is finding a private lawyer a better thing to do? How will I fill the notice of Appeal if I don't have a lawyer yet? Can I still search for a lawyer after sending the notice of appeal? I'm running out of days and very depressed right now. Any help will be appreciated.

Masjuy

Dec 6, 2020
My refugee claim was rejected saying that I don't have enough proof to prove that what I was saying was true. I can still appeal to RAD but I don't have a lawyer. Should I apply for legal aid or is finding a private lawyer a better thing to do? How will I fill the notice of Appeal if I don't have a lawyer yet? Can I still search for a lawyer after sending the notice of appeal? I'm running out of days and very depressed right now. Any help will be appreciated.
Do you have grounds to apply for humanitarian program ?

Reactions: Anita670

mimika

Jan 12, 2021
I need to wait for one year to apply for that, that's what I heard. Any chance that RAD can approve my claim without a lawyer?
So sad to hear that :(
about your question
Am I required to have counsel represent me in my appeal?
You are not required to have counsel represent you in your appeal. However, you may decide that you want counsel to help you. If so, you must hire counsel and pay their fees yourself. Whether or not you hire counsel, you are responsible for your appeal, including meeting the time limits. If you miss a time limit, the RADmay decide your appeal without further notice.
here is a link read this guide very careful if you are doing everything yourself. I know based on of my friend's experience BEFORE COVID (I was a translator between him and his lawyer since he doesn't speak English) the estimated time for RAD hearing (usually its not a hearing, they make a decision without claimant and counsel) is about around 2 years, but every case is individual. If appeal will be rejected you have an option to go through Judicial review at Federal Court. If all steps are done you can try with HC if there sufficient grounds, but you have to wait 12 months to apply for HC unless you're exempted.

You can still present new evidences to RAD if you can prove that you weren't be able to get this evidenced before your hearing at RPD
Good luck!!!

Reactions: Anita670

Baaz

Jun 18, 2017
I need to wait for one year to apply for that, that's what I heard. Any chance that RAD can approve my claim without a lawyer?
Hi Anita, You must have lawyer to represent you as its very sensitive and serious matter. Mine case also get rejected. Getting help from a lawyer will help for sure. I can suggest my lawyer if you are interested as I also have filed RAD review. please text me personally for lawyer's details

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can try legal aid but they don’t take all cases.