+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee Claim Interview with IRCC

ean3

Feb 1, 2022
Hi everyone. Great forum.

I completed my Refugee application using the new online portal. I received the "Acknowledgement of Claim and Notice to Return for Interview" letter. However, the letter had no date, time, or location for the interview. Is this normal?

I have been trying to reach the IRCC for weeks now to find out if that was an error or if I should sit and wait.

Have anyone made a refugee claim within the past six months? If so, how has the process been so far? Can you all provide some advice on this matter? I know I have to complete that interview before a work permit can be processed and forwarded to me. Any suggestions?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I completed my Refugee application using the new online portal. I received the "Acknowledgement of Claim and Notice to Return for Interview" letter. However, the letter had no date, time, or location for the interview. Is this normal?

I have been trying to reach the IRCC for weeks now to find out if that was an error or if I should sit and wait.

Have anyone made a refugee claim within the past six months? If so, how has the process been so far? Can you all provide some advice on this matter? I know I have to complete that interview before a work permit can be processed and forwarded to me. Any suggestions?
What you're experiencing so far is normal. It is unfortunately tough to guess how long you'll be waiting for the interview. Could be a few months or could be a year or more.

nirjhoroliver

Star Member
Feb 3, 2022
I did
* My application on Dec 15th, 2021
* Medical Dec 21st, 2021
*The request for Repeat urine (Medical ) test January 10th, 2022

Still nothing except biting nails without WP

Maria04

Oct 4, 2021

Hi
I´m kind in the same situation , I applied in this new portal , I have a "AOC and notice to return for interview" but not dat or time, the information in the portal said submmited but nothing has changed since a month. I don´t have a work permit or brown paper, I can´t recieve income support because I don´t have the brown paper , I´m still waiting for Legal Aid to see if the´re going to help me. I also went to IRCC offices but they told me I needed to contact CBSA offices , I called CBSA offices and they told me is with IRCC ... So I don´t know what to do next, do you have any update of your case?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did
* My application on Dec 15th, 2021
* Medical Dec 21st, 2021
*The request for Repeat urine (Medical ) test January 10th, 2022

Still nothing except biting nails without WP
Unfortunately there are huge backlogs and wait times you are seeing are not uncommon,

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Hi
I´m kind in the same situation , I applied in this new portal , I have a "AOC and notice to return for interview" but not dat or time, the information in the portal said submmited but nothing has changed since a month. I don´t have a work permit or brown paper, I can´t recieve income support because I don´t have the brown paper , I´m still waiting for Legal Aid to see if the´re going to help me. I also went to IRCC offices but they told me I needed to contact CBSA offices , I called CBSA offices and they told me is with IRCC ... So I don´t know what to do next, do you have any update of your case?
You can get income support with the acknowledgment letter. You don't need the brown paper for Welfare.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Hi
You can create an account here and apply online. https://myselfserve.gov.bc.ca/

Maria04

Oct 4, 2021
You can get income support with the acknowledgment letter. You don't need the brown paper for Welfare.
that's what I thought, but Alberta Works told me that until I have my status as a refugee they could help me, I haven´t done my eligibility interview yet. So I don´t have brown paper, work permit or welfare ´:(

Newday8765

Star Member
Mar 11, 2022
that's what I thought, but Alberta Works told me that until I have my status as a refugee they could help me, I haven´t done my eligibility interview yet. So I don´t have brown paper, work permit or welfare ´:(
Try a different office, they have to
accept AoC.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Thank you, I´m in Alberta, and yes I also tought that with te AOC I would be able to recieve some kind of help, but they refused my app because I don´t have an status yet, I haven't done my eligibility interview yet.. so Alberta works told me that until I recieve the brown paper they could help me
Oh maybe Alberta has different instructions, I thought you were in BC as Ministry of Social development here takes AOC and will provide you a monthly payment even without work permit or any other status other than your AOC. Try going to refugee organizations and settlements, they usually have more ways to help new refugees and claimants. Good luck.