+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claim from New Zealand

Sultanmatania

Mar 19, 2019
We all know about the recent attack on Mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. I was lucky enough to survive the attack as that was the only friday prayer I missed. I was too busy in taking care of my new born son who had complications since birth and requires oxygen cylinder for breathing.

Is there a way I can apply as a Refugee in Canada as I do not feel safe here in nz anymore. My wife is on student visa in New zealand and I am on work permit. Any help would be appreciated.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
We all know about the recent attack on Mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand. I was lucky enough to survive the attack as that was the only friday prayer I missed. I was too busy in taking care of my new born son who had complications since birth and requires oxygen cylinder for breathing.

Is there a way I can apply as a Refugee in Canada as I do not feel safe here in nz anymore. My wife is on student visa in New zealand and I am on work permit. Any help would be appreciated.
No. There is no realistic way that a refugee claim based on your narrative would succeed. However, you only have two options.
1) abandon New Zealand and go to another country, where you can register as a refugee with UNHCR.
2) get a visa to Canada and claim refugee status when you arrive. Expect to be refused.

Reactions: visatest

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You are not a refugee.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If the attack in Christchurch is your basis of claim, Given the attack in the mosque in Montreal, how is NZ any different than Canada? What is preventing you from returning to your home country if you don’t feel safe in NZ? In reality, you have no refugee claim.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The answer to your question is no. This is not grounds for a refugee claim.

If you wish to immigrate to Canada, you will need to qualify and apply through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON

I have compassion for your situation. It is understandable that you are traumatized by the dreadful attack on the mosques, and as a result you no longer feel safe in New Zealand, at least not right now. But it could have happened anywhere. Hopefully over the next few weeks, things will settle down. To have a chance of being granted refugee status in Canada, you would need to show a well-founded fear of persecution in your own country of origin, wherever that may be. If you and your wife have work and study permits, then clearly New Zealand is not your country of origin.