+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee claim for mild autistic adult

nagio87

Jun 3, 2023
Hello
I would like to know if an adult who has mild autism (with official diagnosis) can be accepted as a refugee.
Especially for Vancouver.
It would be a long story, but the one in the case is the same as the one writing.
It would be a long story, but in short, the one in the case is myself.
In my country I did not receive adequate treatment for my mental condition and I have received too much discrimination, even though I have been able to work but with a lousy salary.
Someone who is in their 30's, officially diagnosed and can practically function well. Could laws guarantee shelter for an autistic adult?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello
I would like to know if an adult who has mild autism (with official diagnosis) can be accepted as a refugee.
Especially for Vancouver.
It would be a long story, but the one in the case is the same as the one writing.
It would be a long story, but in short, the one in the case is myself.
In my country I did not receive adequate treatment for my mental condition and I have received too much discrimination, even though I have been able to work but with a lousy salary.
Someone who is in their 30's, officially diagnosed and can practically function well. Could laws guarantee shelter for an autistic adult?
It's going to be hard for any of us to say one way or the other.

You can certainly submit a refugee claim.

Canada's laws certainly do not guarantee that your refugee claim will be approved. You might or might not be approved depending on the strength of your overall case.

nagio87

Jun 3, 2023
It's going to be hard for any of us to say one way or the other.

You can certainly submit a refugee claim.

Canada's laws certainly do not guarantee that your refugee claim will be approved. You might or might not be approved depending on the strength of your overall case.
Thank you for your response.
Yes, I have already presented a refugee claim with a lawyer and obviously included a detailed story of my background.
Autistic adults, especially in Latin America, do not usually receive adequate medical attention since the case related with autism recalls more on autistic children so adults have mask their condition in order to "fit" into the society. The truth of our background is terrible and stressful so that employers dare to cut your salary with the absurd reason that they are "supporting you" and to be honest this is a vile lie that sadly they keep doing that.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes, I have already presented a refugee claim with a lawyer and obviously included a detailed story of my background.
Autistic adults, especially in Latin America, do not usually receive adequate medical attention since the case related with autism recalls more on autistic children so adults have mask their condition in order to "fit" into the society. The truth of our background is terrible and stressful so that employers dare to cut your salary with the absurd reason that they are "supporting you" and to be honest this is a vile lie that sadly they keep doing that.
Good luck with your application and let us know how it goes!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest reviewing what asylum means and what are typical ground for asylum. Not receiving adequate therapy for autism would not be a reason for asylum especially because there isn’t one proven treatment that will “cure” or really treat autism. You can receive treatment to understand people who are not autistic and navigate a world that does not cater to those with autism or receive therapies to increase things like life skills, your ability to communicate, etc. There are many people with autism in Canada who have not received therapy ( most are high functioning and many suffer from Asperger’s) or only have received a fraction of the therapy that they were recommended to receive. Given your post and your ability to work you don’t seem to hav been severely disabled by your autism for example you are not non-verbal. Your primary complaint seems to be about employers not paying you the same amount as someone without autism. Is your life at risk? Have you been harmed physically by the employer? Unfortunately there is pay inequity in the workforce. Best example is that woman are typically paid significantly less than men for the same work but that would not be grounds for asylum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aboje

nagio87

Jun 3, 2023
Would suggest reviewing what asylum means and what are typical ground for asylum. Not receiving adequate therapy for autism would not be a reason for asylum especially because there isn’t one proven treatment that will “cure” or really treat autism. You can receive treatment to understand people who are not autistic and navigate a world that does not cater to those with autism or receive therapies to increase things like life skills, your ability to communicate, etc. There are many people with autism in Canada who have not received therapy ( most are high functioning and many suffer from Asperger’s) or only have received a fraction of the therapy that they were recommended to receive. Given your post and your ability to work you don’t seem to hav been severely disabled by your autism for example you are not non-verbal. Your primary complaint seems to be about employers not paying you the same amount as someone without autism. Is your life at risk? Have you been harmed physically by the employer? Unfortunately there is pay inequity in the workforce. Best example is that woman are typically paid significantly less than men for the same work but that would not be grounds for asylum.
Not only adequate therapy. I'm highlighting everything refered with discrimination and life risk exposure (it was detailed on my story I have presented to the lawyer). I know that it may take quite long time to receive a response but I'm on it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not only adequate therapy. I'm highlighting everything refered with discrimination and life risk exposure (it was detailed on my story I have presented to the lawyer). I know that it may take quite long time to receive a response but I'm on it.
Without your full story nobody can really comment but it is not a typical asylum case. You will need to show that there was nowhere safe for you to live in your whole country. Not being able to get treatment for any health condition is not a reason for asylum.

Reactions: nagio87

nagio87

Jun 3, 2023
Update news

My story background has been accepted on the immigration office, as a result I received the common known 'White paper' which follows my status as refugee demander and can receive financial aid, join to the nearest food bank, and medical support.
I was called to be give my passport and got an original copy of the passport so I can only travel anywhere inside Canada.

From now I am waiting for the next step which means the 'Brown paper' (which indicates on the headline the SIN - Social Insurance Number- and the Open work permit), I don't know if I'll receive it on mid July hence without that paper I cannot join to any work even if I already have many proposals and interviews waiting on my list, but I know that some people can work with cash payment.

The procedure that maybe a but longer would be the audience for the PR approval.
I would like to hear your comments.

Reactions: stallion1982

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Update news

My story background has been accepted on the immigration office, as a result I received the common known 'White paper' which follows my status as refugee demander and can receive financial aid, join to the nearest food bank, and medical support.
I was called to be give my passport and got an original copy of the passport so I can only travel anywhere inside Canada.

From now I am waiting for the next step which means the 'Brown paper' (which indicates on the headline the SIN - Social Insurance Number- and the Open work permit), I don't know if I'll receive it on mid July hence without that paper I cannot join to any work even if I already many proposals and interviews, but I know that some people can work with cash payment.

The procedure that maybe a but longer would be the audience for the PR approval.
You are still in the earlier stages of the process. Your refugee application has been accepted. However this doesn't mean that Canada has fully evaluated your refugee claim yet. That will come later. I assume you have already submitted your BOC (basis of claim).

The next significant step will be the refugee hearing. In some ways this is probably the most important step. This is where you will be asked questions about your claim based on the BOC you submitted and where it will be determined if you will be accepted as a protected person or not.

Good luck.

Reactions: stallion1982

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Update news

From now I am waiting for the next step which means the 'Brown paper' (which indicates on the headline the SIN - Social Insurance Number- and the Open work permit), I don't know if I'll receive it on mid July hence without that paper I cannot join to any work even if I already have many proposals and interviews waiting on my list, but I know that some people can work with cash payment.

Just to comment on the work permit... We have seen a lot of different experiences on this forum. Some people seem to get the work permit very quickly. Others have waited more than a year. Hopefully others will comment and share their experiences.

nagio87

Jun 3, 2023
Just to comment on the work permit... We have seen a lot of different experiences on this forum. Some people seem to get the work permit very quickly. Others have waited more than a year. Hopefully others will comment and share their experiences.
That's right. I met on a church a couple who came from Venezuela almost two years ago, and they are still waiting for the open work permit, although the man is working with cash (can be mistaken but most Latin people might get jobs easily with cash payment, even it's not that permited)
In my case I'm doing some home office job and finally got opened a national bank account so the financial aid funds would be transferred to it. Anyway some days I am bit afraid that I can run out of money.
The good thing is that the officers and social aid secretary always encourage me to keep going despite of my autistic behaviors. I don't feel that let down compared in my homeland.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's right. I met on a church a couple who came from Venezuela almost two years ago, and they are still waiting for the open work permit, although the man is working with cash (can be mistaken but most Latin people might get jobs easily with cash payment, even it's not that permited)
In my case I'm doing some home office job and finally got opened a national bank account so the financial aid funds would be transferred to it. Anyway some days I am bit afraid that I can run out of money.
The good thing is that the officers and social aid secretary always encourage me to keep going despite of my autistic behaviors. I don't feel that let down compared in my homeland.
You must report any income you earn to the welfare office including cash jobs or else that is considered welfare fraud. Already specified almost everyone’s application for asylum is accepted. The biggest hurdle will be to get approved as a protected person. You do not fit the typical profile for an asylum seeker. You will need to show that you have been persecuted and that you have tried to find safety in other areas of your home country.

Reactions: nagio87

nagio87

Jun 3, 2023
Update news

I finally received the Brown paper and the Open work permit at the address that I'm currently living, and then I issued online the SIN (maybe I'll be receiving within 10 business days)
I'm glad that the immigration office had done everything so fast.

Now that you all mentioned, what is missing is to declare my history on the court in order to get the PR, I know it may take some time but the good thing is that open to work legally.

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Update news

I finally received the Brown paper and the Open work permit at the address that I'm currently living, and then I issued online the SIN (maybe I'll be received within 10 business days)
I'm glad that the immigration office had done everything so fast.

Now that you all mentioned, what is missing is to declare my history on the court in order to get the PR, I know it may take some time but the good thing is that open to work legally.
There are 5 factors Members consider while reviewing BOC and Submissions, Medical condition is not one of them. Unless if there are proof that medical condition can lead to those 5 factors, then it will be evaluated. Good Example, In certain part of the World; they kill people with Albinism, and State dont provide enough protection to them. .Unless otherwise, medical condition can be evaluated during H&C provided it is within threshold and there's no cure in Applicant Country of Origin.

In your application, provide proof of a well-founded fear of being persecuted/tortured or killed for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion and that you are unwilling to return.

5 keys;
Race
Religion
Nationality
Membership of a particular social group
political opinion

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There are 5 factors Members consider while reviewing BOC and Submissions, Medical condition is not one of them. Unless if there are proof that medical condition can lead to those 5 factors, then it will be evaluated. Good Example, In certain part of the World; they kill people with Albinism, and State dont provide enough protection to them. .Unless otherwise, medical condition can be evaluated during H&C provided it is within threshold and there's no cure in Applicant Country of Origin.

In your application, provide proof of a well-founded fear of being persecuted/tortured or killed for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion and that you are unwilling to return.

5 keys;
Race
Religion
Nationality
Membership of a particular social group
political opinion
In addition you must show that you have attempted to relocate within your home country but there is nowhere in your country where you will not be persecuted. Evidence should be provided that shows persecution and your life was at risk like police reports, hospitalizations if you were assaulted, copy of threats against you, etc. Don’t think you meet the requirements for an expedited hearing so you will likely have a 1-2.5 year wait until you can get a hearing.