+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugee case

Yehia82

Star Member
May 28, 2011
Hi,
Will try to be short as possible, I am on valid PR that will end on June 18, 2023. By that date I will be in Canada for about 1 and a half year. I was accompanied by my wife and 2 years old son to Canada and they are on a visitor visa and unfortunatly could nof apply for sponsorship because I am unemolyed and on income assistance.
My wife gave birth to our daughter 8 month ago in Canada, meanwhile I extended their (wife & son) stay in Canada till June 2016 and I am afraid to apply for new extension as my PR will be expired by then.
I have no financial possibility to provide for a round trip flight so I have two options
1- Make them a refugee application as they are from Lebanon and Canada consider condition there " Avoid all travel to Lebanon due to a deteriorating security situation, civil unrest, the increased risk of terrorist attack and the ongoing armed conflict with Israel"
2- Overstay their visa and wait till I am eligible to sponsor them.
What will be best in my situation
Thankx in advance

binabade

Star Member
Jun 24, 2023
If I were in your place, I would let them overstay, but I would start looking for a job as soon as possible. Being on income assistance might not be the right thing for you.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,
Will try to be short as possible, I am on valid PR that will end on June 18, 2023. By that date I will be in Canada for about 1 and a half year. I was accompanied by my wife and 2 years old son to Canada and they are on a visitor visa and unfortunatly could nof apply for sponsorship because I am unemolyed and on income assistance.
My wife gave birth to our daughter 8 month ago in Canada, meanwhile I extended their (wife & son) stay in Canada till June 2016 and I am afraid to apply for new extension as my PR will be expired by then.
I have no financial possibility to provide for a round trip flight so I have two options
1- Make them a refugee application as they are from Lebanon and Canada consider condition there " Avoid all travel to Lebanon due to a deteriorating security situation, civil unrest, the increased risk of terrorist attack and the ongoing armed conflict with Israel"
2- Overstay their visa and wait till I am eligible to sponsor them.
What will be best in my situation
Thankx in advance
Work toward eligibility and sponsor them. On revised refugee claim forms, there is a question that ask "Is A Refugee Claimant Spouse of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident?" I'm not sure what is the outcome of that question, but i guess there'll be some issues during eligibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

Yehia82

Star Member
May 28, 2011
Thanks alot for your answers, I have more details to ask about,
1-my son visa was extended till the last day of my PR status (June 18, 2024) while my wife was extended just for January 28,2024. Should I apply to extend my wife stay with the hope that I can finance a round trip flight before June so they do not overstay and does such application open their eyes to investigate my PR.
2- My first PR was on 2014 and I renewed it on 2019 so I have till 2024. By June 2024 I will be in Canada for 1 and half year (on income assistance but applying for licensing in my profession and studying courses as well). My question is can I apply for another PR renewal 730 days after staying in Canada so I can sponsor them or will be safer to wait more and apply for citizenship
Thanks alot

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1-my son visa was extended till the last day of my PR status (June 18, 2024) while my wife was extended just for January 28,2024. Should I apply to extend my wife stay with the hope that I can finance a round trip flight before June so they do not overstay and does such application open their eyes to investigate my PR.
2- My first PR was on 2014 and I renewed it on 2019 so I have till 2024. By June 2024 I will be in Canada for 1 and half year (on income assistance but applying for licensing in my profession and studying courses as well). My question is can I apply for another PR renewal 730 days after staying in Canada so I can sponsor them or will be safer to wait more and apply for citizenship
Thanks alot
1 - Yes, you can apply to extend their visitor status.
2 - Wait until you have a minimum of 730 days before you apply to sponsor them and apply to renew your PR card. The best approach is to wait until you have one additional month in Canada before you apply for either. No, you don't have to wait for citizenship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks alot
The travel warning for Lebanon is for Canadian PRs and citizens because Canada does not want to have to evacuate people who have gone to Lebanon especially recently if the conflict spreads to Lebanon. There has also been a notice that Canadian citizens and PRs should return to Canada. This is to try to minimize any responsibility to evacuate citizens and PRs if it becomes necessary and avoid what happened in 2006 and the controversy that followed. That doesn’t guarantee that your family will be granted asylum. There isn’t significant fighting between Hezbollah and Israel at the moment and daily life in Lebanon has been unaffected unless you live in the southern border region. This doesn’t mean they will be denied asylum they will need to prove how their lives are at risk in Lebanon but they are unlikely to get asylum based on the statements you are quoting. How did you get PR and for how long have you been on welfare? If you were granted PR in 2014 why did you not sponsor your wife after you got married or have you been unemployed for 5 years? Have you spent the last 10 years in Canada? If your wife and child were able to get TRVs you must have savings and a history of working in Canada. Given that you have 2 young children and a spouse likely without healthcare and depending on a limited income finding employment and perhaps 2 jobs while your wife is not able to work needs to be your #1 priority.

Yehia82

Star Member
May 28, 2011
The travel warning for Lebanon is for Canadian PRs and citizens because Canada does not want to have to evacuate people who have gone to Lebanon especially recently if the conflict spreads to Lebanon. There has also been a notice that Canadian citizens and PRs should return to Canada. This is to try to minimize any responsibility to evacuate citizens and PRs if it becomes necessary and avoid what happened in 2006 and the controversy that followed. That doesn’t guarantee that your family will be granted asylum. There isn’t significant fighting between Hezbollah and Israel at the moment and daily life in Lebanon has been unaffected unless you live in the southern border region. This doesn’t mean they will be denied asylum they will need to prove how their lives are at risk in Lebanon but they are unlikely to get asylum based on the statements you are quoting. How did you get PR and for how long have you been on welfare? If you were granted PR in 2014 why did you not sponsor your wife after you got married or have you been unemployed for 5 years? Have you spent the last 10 years in Canada? If your wife and child were able to get TRVs you must have savings and a history of working in Canada. Given that you have 2 young children and a spouse likely without healthcare and depending on a limited income finding employment and perhaps 2 jobs while your wife is not able to work needs to be your #1 priority.
Thank you for your reply
I got my 1st PR on 2014 but meanwhile I was studying in a university in Lebanon so I could not stay in Canada for the period needed to get a citizenship that is why I got only PR renew.
I am married since end of 2019, the year of COVID, and I my life in Lebanon was perfect untill the econimoic crises hit so I decided to move to Canada for ever to protect my children from the corruption, unsafety Lebanon having everywhile.
By June 2024 I will be in Canada for one and a half year continued stay during which I am on income assistant but hardly finding a job, I am a physician undergoing licensing procedure which will take maybe a year more. I had multiple short courses in Canada and planning to have one next month ( emergency medical responder), this might help me find a job. Also I applied for tons of caregiver, pharmacy assistant, health care aid jobs with no success.
By the way regarding asylum I am from south of Lebanon but far from the conflict yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your reply
I got my 1st PR on 2014 but meanwhile I was studying in a university in Lebanon so I could not stay in Canada for the period needed to get a citizenship that is why I got only PR renew.
I am married since end of 2019, the year of COVID, and I my life in Lebanon was perfect untill the econimoic crises hit so I decided to move to Canada for ever to protect my children from the corruption, unsafety Lebanon having everywhile.
By June 2024 I will be in Canada for one and a half year continued stay during which I am on income assistant but hardly finding a job, I am a physician undergoing licensing procedure which will take maybe a year more. I had multiple short courses in Canada and planning to have one next month ( emergency medical responder), this might help me find a job. Also I applied for tons of caregiver, pharmacy assistant, health care aid jobs with no success.
By the way regarding asylum I am from south of Lebanon but far from the conflict yet.
There are no guarantees you will ever be a licensed physician in Canada. Did you get PR through your parents because it doesn’t make sense to attend med school in Lebanon if you want to practice medicine in Canada because it is very difficult to get relicensed unless you have done your training in a few select countries. Have you passed your Canadian licensing exams? Do you speak fluent French? what type of physician are you? Have you applied for the residency match? A large portion of IMGs never get licensed in Canada and don’t match on their first attempt. If you are a fluent French speaker and want to be a GP, pathologist, psychiatrist, public health physician, etc. there is a better than average chance of securing a residency mostly because most IMGs don’t know French. What province do you live in? There are many jobs available as PSWs, as a pharmacy tech, Amazon, etc. Given your situation you need to get off of welfare and provide for your family and sponsor them. Once your wife can work she can also provide income for the household but realistically until you get a residency you will have to work and study/volunteer. Once you’re off welfare for a few months sponsorship will be much faster than attempting to show that your family’s life is at risk in Lebanon where asylum is not guaranteed.

Last edited: