+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refugee and applied for citizenship

velaven

Apr 15, 2011
Hi there,
im a refugee claimant and got my permanent residency approved and eligible to apply for citizenship. I applied for my citizenship on December 2017 and got my AOR on February 22,2018. yesterday i went through some stuff at the forum about the refugee status cessation and pr's. I'm kind of bothered. I haven't went to my home country since i claimed refugee. But I'm not aware and dont have an idea that i shouldn't renew my home country passport i just got to know about this when read the thread from the forum, i just renew the passport for travelling purposes, i traveled just once with that passport for vacation in Singapore with my family. I'm kind of concern now about this, will i have any problem just because of the renewal of my passport? please advise. Thanks in advance.

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
Hi there,
im a refugee claimant and got my permanent residency approved and eligible to apply for citizenship. I applied for my citizenship on December 2017 and got my AOR on February 22,2018. yesterday i went through some stuff at the forum about the refugee status cessation and pr's. I'm kind of bothered. I haven't went to my home country since i claimed refugee. But I'm not aware and dont have an idea that i shouldn't renew my home country passport i just got to know about this when read the thread from the forum, i just renew the passport for travelling purposes, i traveled just once with that passport for vacation in Singapore with my family. I'm kind of concern now about this, will i have any problem just because of the renewal of my passport? please advise. Thanks in advance.

Did you Travel before submitting your application or after ? I mean did you mention in your application this trip ?

As per rule, its not recommended and IRCC has right to fight against it but most of the time they do not care.

velaven

Apr 15, 2011
Did you Travel before submitting your application or after ? I mean did you mention in your application this trip ?

As per rule, its not recommended and IRCC has right to fight against it but most of the time they do not care.
yea i mention in the application about the trip but the trip that went was not to my home country, just a vacation trip to different country.

optimistic6

Star Member
Jul 21, 2015
yea i mention in the application about the trip but the trip that went was not to my home country, just a vacation trip to different country.
Refugees are not recommended to use their home country passport for travel. They must need to use Travel Document till to become Citizen.

I would suggest, be prepared to answer the question during Interview that " Why you used your home country passport" ? Might be they do not notice that you used your own country passport and might be they can ask.

Is there any stamp on your passport ? Entry/Exit from Canada and Singapore ?