+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recommendation for city to move in British Columbia

LOOKATAMI

May 17, 2018
Hello,
I'm planning to move from California to Canada by end of the year 2020. Could someone please recommend on cities/regions to move to. Below is my scenario
  1. Planning to move with family - Wife and two kids (10 years and 1 year old)
  2. Will be working remotely for an existing job. No geographical limitation
  3. Already have Canadian PR. Can live anywhere in Canada
  4. Why moving: Want to escape out of circus of US immigration
  5. Which Province: Due to moderate weather, preferably want to move to British columbia
Appreciate all the help the forum members has to offer.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Vancouver island is great....Victoria,Nanaimo are nice little towns, But I feel you can get bored easily as it is cut off from mainland. Also expensive side.
I would prefer Abottsford or Chiliwack, so you drive to Vancouver, drive to US or drive towards the mountains. Very accessible.
Living on island, you become very dependent on the ferry service. Also if you want to do some gig on side along with your job then stay closer to Vancouver.

If you really like mountains, go for Kamloops or Kelowna or Squamish. Then they are little isolated though.

LOOKATAMI

May 17, 2018
Thanks for the feedback folks! I've not decided the location yet but leaning more towards Abbotsford and Langley area.

sunnnyc

Sep 19, 2020
What’s your budget? Space requirement? Min 2 bed 2 bath? Need/wish to travel to work from Vancouver based office once/twice a month to socialize/build network?

I’m in a similar situation (except no PR yet) and did some research considering above requirements, and finding Surrey Newton, Langley, Abbotsford area rental apartments could work within budget of 2k to 2.5k cad/month.

LOOKATAMI

May 17, 2018
What’s your budget? Space requirement? Min 2 bed 2 bath? Need/wish to travel to work from Vancouver based office once/twice a month to socialize/build network?

I’m in a similar situation (except no PR yet) and did some research considering above requirements, and finding Surrey Newton, Langley, Abbotsford area rental apartments could work within budget of 2k to 2.5k cad/month.
Thanks for sharing this. I'm in almost same boat in terms of budget and space needs. Interesting list for areas being considered.

sureeysam

Oct 6, 2020
Hi, I was in an extremely similar situation here. I did the move last year. California, H1b, Family structure etc. I ended up living in Surrey since I wanted to be closer to the India community. It ended up being too close, ;) Surrey/Langley is good if you looking for the desi suburban vibe. If you are more of the adventurous type , consider Kelowna( which we are considering ourselves ). But Surrey/ Langley has the immense advantage of driving to Seattle airport in 3 hours if you need to.

LOOKATAMI

May 17, 2018
Hi, I was in an extremely similar situation here. I did the move last year. California, H1b, Family structure etc. I ended up living in Surrey since I wanted to be closer to the India community. It ended up being too close, ;) Surrey/Langley is good if you looking for the desi suburban vibe. If you are more of the adventurous type , consider Kelowna( which we are considering ourselves ). But Surrey/ Langley has the immense advantage of driving to Seattle airport in 3 hours if you need to.
Thanks for sharing Sureeyam. I've been reading a lot about Kelowna. Crime/Safety perspective keeps popping up in my research. Since you moved from US to Canada and are planning to move to Kelowna, is that something of consideration?

Jan 16, 2018
Thanks for sharing Sureeyam. I've been reading a lot about Kelowna. Crime/Safety perspective keeps popping up in my research. Since you moved from US to Canada and are planning to move to Kelowna, is that something of consideration?
kelowna is about 4 hr drive from Vancouver. Curious if you are planning to work remotely, or actually working for some company in kelowna.

Ranga0585

Jan 6, 2019
Hi Everyone, I need advise in looking for a furnished/non furnished apartment/condo or a house in Kamloops. Budget around 1800 looking for a 1 or 2 bhk in a good neighbourhood. Can someone please help me with options. Can agents or property management consultants help us in looking for a house.
Kindly share your valuable suggestions