Waived
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-01-2015
LANDED..........
06-03-2015
Hi Friends,

I am sure there might be a bunch of people in the same situation as we are in right now. We got PR recently, March, 2015, and my wife found a decent job in Quebec and she started working. I am still in USA working on H1. Since we live in a town close to the USA-Canada border we cross border almost every weekend.
If anyone in similar situation I am interested in learning about how to file Taxes in 2016, and if anyone can direct me to appropriate sources, links or should I hire a Tax consultant for next year!!! What is the better way to go?? Do myself or hire someone for both USA and Canada Tax filings???
Thanks in advance.

ans234

Jun 20, 2018
Hi.. I am now in the same boat, could anyone please advice, if we can continue to file married jointly in US (if one spouse works in Canada and other works in US) and as single filer in Canada?
I understand that we may need to show spouses' foreign income in US, but can we claim the foreign tax paid in Canada? and also take advantage of joint Standard deduction in US?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi.. I am now in the same boat, could anyone please advice, if we can continue to file married jointly in US (if one spouse works in Canada and other works in US) and as single filer in Canada?
I understand that we may need to show spouses' foreign income in US, but can we claim the foreign tax paid in Canada? and also take advantage of joint Standard deduction in US?
This is a Canadian forum so only going to comment on your Canadian taxes. You must declare that you are married. Marriage affects what kind of benefits you receive.