CEC
AOR Received.
13-12-2017
Passport Req..
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
26-06-2018
Hi Everyone,

I moved back to Ontario having received my PR in January as an IEC applicant. Everything is going great but yet again, I'm struggling with a flair up of my anxiety and depression like symptoms, no doubt exacerbated by the stress that's part and parcel of moving.

I've had these recurring issues since I was a young child, and as a teenager I was referred to a psychologist for counselling by my GP. I went through maybe 2 to 3 months of counselling when I was around 13 years old and was given the all clear to end the sessions after that initial course. I don't remember being given a formal diagnosis of having any mental health issues, nor was I prescribed any medication. Although the symptoms did worsen through the years, I neglected to seek professional treatment and dealt with them in my own way.

I can see now that my symptoms are causing me to avoid living my life the fullest and I want to make a fresh start of my new life in Canada, and I would like to go about getting professional treatment, whether that involves OHIP or private mental healthcare. My only concern is that in my medical questionnaire I filled in for the Panel Physician, I answered that I had no history of depression or anxiety (given that I had no real diagnosis or treatment).

Even as I type this, it's seems a bit of a stretch, but would seeking healthcare for a condition, that may have been longstanding, as a new PR/OHIP recipient cause any immigration related problems further down the line considering it wasn't mentioned on my medical questionnaire?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No you're fine but be prepared to pay because psychologist aren't covered by OHIP. If you have extended healthcare benefits get a referral so you can get whatever reimbursement you are entitled to. Also would encourage you to join a club, sport, volunteer, etc. Meeting new friends can only help in addition to mental health support. Best of luck.