+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received question about intent to move upon receipt of DM??

jennylee844

Sep 30, 2014
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
Med's Done....
29-08-2014
Hello:

My husband is an American and we both live in the U.S. And we are planning on moving back to Canada. We applied for PR in November and We received an email today asking for evidence that the sponsor (me) will move once the applicant gets PR status. Has anyone been through this? What do you need to prove to show this? We own a house and are putting it up for sale in June (anticipating a PR approval in September). If we haven't sold the house yet and he gets PR approval, would we both have to move back right away before we sell? I know his has been a common request for Sponsors living outside of Canada but I want to know how to show the visa office that I am going to move with my husband, but we can't move back until he gets his approval, so our exact plans are up in the air. How soon is soon enough for the visa office? Can you be denied at this stage? I'm freaking out a bit as I want to make sure I provide the info correctly and not jeopardize this whole application!

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You want to show evidence that you either already have ties to Canada or have started work towards reestablishing yourselves there. Examples: job offer from an employer or evidence of job search / interviews, proof of property owned / proof you have made arrangements to rent a property / proof you are already working with a real estate agent to find a place to live once you move, proof of future school enrollment, proof of any bank accounts / other assets already held in Canada.

I'm sure others will add more...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Proof you are listing your US house for sale, and are looking for a Canadian one, is good.
He can probably wait a bit before moving to Canada - there will be a date he has to land by.
Show arrangements made for where you will stay once in Canada - if it is with a friend or relative at first, you can get them to write a letter offering you a place to stay.
Also show the arrangements you have made to leave the US - such as contact with moving companies, notices about quitting your jobs, etc.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
jennylee844 said:
Hello:

My husband is an American and we both live in the U.S. And we are planning on moving back to Canada. We applied for PR in November and We received an email today asking for evidence that the sponsor (me) will move once the applicant gets PR status. Has anyone been through this? What do you need to prove to show this? We own a house and are putting it up for sale in June (anticipating a PR approval in September). If we haven't sold the house yet and he gets PR approval, would we both have to move back right away before we sell? I know his has been a common request for Sponsors living outside of Canada but I want to know how to show the visa office that I am going to move with my husband, but we can't move back until he gets his approval, so our exact plans are up in the air. How soon is soon enough for the visa office? Can you be denied at this stage? I'm freaking out a bit as I want to make sure I provide the info correctly and not jeopardize this whole application!

Thanks!
We just went through this exact process a couple of months ago with the Ottawa office. This turned into a very stressful couple of months for us as we were very worried we were going to be denied and ended up getting an MP involved. The best advice I could give would be write a detailed plan...i.e. you are planning on selling your house, in US then you plan doing x, y z. It shows you have put thought and consideration into moving.

However, that aside we provided letters from friends/relatives confirming we were moving back, emails showing discussions about moving with friends/relatives. Copies of bank statement showing my wife still had her Canadian account and emails to and from real estate agents about rental property. Job enquiries as well as job offers my wife had, and confirmation that I was trying to get my degree recognised. We also had a letter from the MP but I wouldn't advise this unless they dont accept your original documentation. Generally its just a straightforward request but if they were not convinced by your first set of evidence they will give you another opportunity to submit.

jennylee844

Sep 30, 2014
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
Med's Done....
29-08-2014
Thanks so much everyone and for the personal experience: that makes me feel better. After you provided the evidence Brucem, how long did it take to get approval?

Thanks!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
jennylee844 said:
Hello:

Thanks!
If you tell CIC that you can only move to Canada once your house is sold, they might tell you to file another application then when your home is sold. Not to be the negative nelly, but they are asking you specifically what your plans are, likely because they are ready to issue his COPR and they want to be sure you plan to move back and not just 'land' and then head back to the good old US of A.

I would get that home listed ASAP and send the listing along with proof of job/house/school research and anything else that you have done since submitting his application to show your intent to return and reside in Canada.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Agree with Alurra. I would avoid saying things that appear to be hindrances (e.g. need to sell house first before moving). If you do, they'll just ask you to re-apply after selling. It happened to another American-Canadian couple who told CIC the wife (Canadian) had enrolled for school and wanted to complete her program. They were denied.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
jennylee844 said:
Thanks so much everyone and for the personal experience: that makes me feel better. After you provided the evidence Brucem, how long did it take to get approval?

Thanks!
We got the email for extra evidence on 23/01 but CIC didn't receive our info until March 7th I think. We got DM 23/04 after that. Good luck!