+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received new LOA after my visa got stamped, when should I apply for study permit extension?

aarthale

Mar 18, 2022
So a lil backstory, I had applied for Sep 22 intake but due to the late processing time, I received ppr after the classes started.
I had no choice but to defer for future intake and my program is only available for September intake.
Now I have the new LOA for Sep 23 intake, but my study visa will expire on April 2024, however my program will get over on April 2025.

My question is when I receive the study permit in POE will it be based on my new LOA or will it be the same as my visa till '24 April?
If so can I apply for an extension only before my permit is about to expire from Canada or can I do that from my home country before traveling which is what my agent said is something we can try.
Hope I was clear.

Thank You,
Aart

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
So a lil backstory, I had applied for Sep 22 intake but due to the late processing time, I received ppr after the classes started.
I had no choice but to defer for future intake and my program is only available for September intake.
Now I have the new LOA for Sep 23 intake, but my study visa will expire on April 2024, however my program will get over on April 2025.

My question is when I receive the study permit in POE will it be based on my new LOA or will it be the same as my visa till '24 April?
If so can I apply for an extension only before my permit is about to expire from Canada or can I do that from my home country before traveling which is what my agent said is something we can try.
Hope I was clear.

Thank You,
Aart
First of all, given the fact that your new starting date is more than 150 days from the original, you must inform of your deferral to IRCC via webform and update the new LOA.

Second, once you arrive at the POE your SP should be issued in line with your new LOA. If it's not, you can always apply for a SP extension.

The only downside is that even if your SP is issued in line with your new LOA, your visa will not be updated. You have to apply for a new visa after (that is if you want to travel outside of Canada while you are studying).

Abdussalam Khan

Nov 13, 2022
Nowshera, Pakistan
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
11-08-2022
Med's Done....
15-08-2022
Passport Req..
30-08-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-09-2022

Hope I was clear.

Thank You,
Aart
Same case with me, you will get the SP based on your new LOA dont worry. And for Visa, you have to file a TRV again in case you want to travel to your home country during your studies.

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023

Hope I was clear.

Thank You,
Aart
How was your experience? Did you receive your study permit with the new loa?

mile80

Star Member
Jun 1, 2023
Same case with me, you will get the SP based on your new LOA dont worry. And for Visa, you have to file a TRV again in case you want to travel to your home country during your studies.
.How was your experience? Did you receive your study permit with the new loa?