+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received Fairness Letter because of Hepatitis B .....Seeking guidance for reply

Dandansong

Apr 28, 2015
Hello,

I am from China, and is in the process of immigration to Canada via Federated Skilled Worker program.

My application status is that i received a letter from the CIC, saying that my personal health condition might reasonable be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services in Canada. To make it specific, my expected cost is $64,579 over five years while the average threshold is $6,387/year.

I took the physical examination on April 1st, 2015 and the result is :

HBsAg, HBeAg and HBcAb positive
DNA: 1.57*10E8 IU/ml
HBeAg: 1400+ ( Don’t know the exact value)
ALT: 18U/L
B-mode ultrasound: Normal. There isn’t any hepatic fibrosis or hepatocirrhosis.

The VO gave me 60 days to submit additional information to prove that i will not place an excessive demand on social or health services, otherwise, my application will be refused.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the original letter from the VO:

Diagnosis: CHRONIC HEPATITIS B (070.3)

Narrative:

Ms. Song has a diagnosis of CHRONIC HEPATITIS B made during her immigration medical examination. Her diagnosis was confirmed based on all information gathered. Hepatitis B is an infectious disease affecting the liver caused by the Hepatitis B virus (HBV), which can often be asymptomatic and go unnoticed, but which will eventually usually cause chronic liver disease and if left untreated, can progress to portal hypertension, liver fibrosis and cirrhosis, hepatocellular carcinoma and even liver failure requiring liver transplant. HBV infection can be treated and the aim of the treatment is to impede progression of the patient's liver disease by obtaining a sustained viral eradication or long-term suppression of viral replication. Treatment is through the use of antiviral medications.

The applicant's hepatitis B profile showed the HBe Ag marker to be reactive. Her HBV-DNA viral load of March 23, 2015 was significantly elevated at 1.57 x 10E8 IU/ml and the liver enzyme ALT was 18 U/L. Ms. Song is HBeAg positive, which indicates the presence of active Hepatitis B virus replication and high infectivity. Patients who are HBeAg positive usually require prolonged treatment with antivirals to decrease the viral load and maintain it at a level that decreases the risk of progression. Often patients who are HBeAg positive experience suboptimal response or a relapse of the chronic hepatitis B on one antiviral and must be switched to either another more expensive antiviral or a combination of antivirals long term. In the Canadian context, this applicant would likely be offered long term treatment with anti-viral medications (e.g. Adefovir, pegylated interferon) to maintain a suppressed HBV viral load. This is required in order to prevent progression to liver failure and the development of liver cancer. The treatment for chronic active hepatitis B is expensive and publicly funded.

Other Information:

The expected cost for health related services for this applicant is $64579 over five year. This amount exceeds the average per capita threshold of $6,387 annually and therefore would likely exceed the average Canadian per capita health services and social services costs over a period of five consecutive years. A detailed list of health services required, cost implications as well as sources used to determine these costs are included in Appendix I.
Based upon my review of the results of this applicant's immigration medical examination and all the reports I have received with respect to the applicant's health condition, I conclude that this applicant is inadmissible under Section 38(1)(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act which states that "A foreign national is inadmissible on health grounds if their health condition might reasonably be expected to cause excessive demand on health or social services."

Appendix I: Expected Costs of Services
Medication(s)
Details of Services: Anti-viral medications (e.g adefovir) -$12,915.80 for one year ($64,579 in 5 years)

Source of Information: In house document on price of various anti-viral medications used for treatment of Chronic Hepatitis B

Date Accessed: April 24, 2015

TOTAL COST OF ALL LISTED SERVICES: $ 64,579 in 5 years

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After received this fairness letter, I contacted 'computergeek' (a million thanks) who gave me some very helpful suggestion and a couple of lawyers' contact information, so I began contacting these lawyers, meanwhile doing some research myself.

I have contacted 3 lawyers in total, one of them haven't replied me for 3 days, and another two lawyers asked for a consultant fee first. To be honest, this is the first time I turned my help to a lawyer, and I don't even know what should I ask in a consultant.

Anyway, I have actively done some research and got some findings (I may post my findings later), now I am wondering if I can handle my case myself.

The first thing I am going to do is reply the VO and order my medical records that may contain additional information and insight into how the medical officer reached that conclusion and that cost (computer geek suggested to do so), so that I can prepare my response accordingly.

Since English is not my mother language and I haven't seen similar cases by searching in Chinese. I haven't written this kind of letter before, shall I use challenging words? or formal words? How to orderly format the response? Do you have any suggestion or could you please give me some samples? Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
DD from China

Dandansong

Apr 28, 2015
i have another friend who just received a similar letter. He is also a hepatitis B carrier with DNA ~ 5E.

So it seems that DNA virus load higher than E4 is a threshold.

HWarraich

May 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2014
Passport Req..
11 May 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18 May 2015
Sir Computer geek can suggest you better dear.....you should use formal language and avoid abusive language. As per my suggestion, if you can do the research by yourself the you should be ready to spend many hours in a day to collect and prepare your response. Sir will help you, I think. Else, take help from experienced immigration layer who have already handled such type of case and able to get visa from VO.

ilc_2015

May 13, 2015
Dear Dandansong,

I'm sorry to hear about your application!
My husband is a Hepatitis B carrier as well. We took our medical exams on April 21.
A week later he received a phone call from the doctor asking him to undergo a Hepatitis C test (which came back negative).
I didn't quite understand your lab results. Your DNA is 1.57*10E8 IU/ml and you mentioned that it seems that DNA virus load higher than E4 is a threshold.
Can you please explain what does it means?
Are you receiving (or suppose to receive ) any antiviral treatment?
My husbands DNA is: 250 IU/m. Is that means we're going to be rejected?
Thank you in advance!

NewPlan2014

Dec 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18th September 2015 at CIO
AOR Received.
18th February 2015
Med's Request
10th March 2015
Med's Done....
17th March 2015
Dandansong said:
i have another friend who just received a similar letter. He is also a hepatitis B carrier with DNA ~ 5E.

So it seems that DNA virus load higher than E4 is a threshold.
Hi
I hope you are doing well . Could you update your current status of your application .

BlueSun

Star Member
Jun 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
19-03-2016
AOR Received.
21-05-2016
Med's Request
27-07-2016
Med's Done....
28-07-2016
ilc_2015 said:
Dear Dandansong,

I'm sorry to hear about your application!
My husband is a Hepatitis B carrier as well. We took our medical exams on April 21.
A week later he received a phone call from the doctor asking him to undergo a Hepatitis C test (which came back negative).
I didn't quite understand your lab results. Your DNA is 1.57*10E8 IU/ml and you mentioned that it seems that DNA virus load higher than E4 is a threshold.
Can you please explain what does it means?
Are you receiving (or suppose to receive ) any antiviral treatment?
My husbands DNA is: 250 IU/m. Is that means we're going to be rejected?
Thank you in advance!
What is your husband's HBeAg result?

MXIA

Sep 13, 2016
Can you provide an update on your case? Did you get any response to your fairness letter yet?

Thanks!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
tester1981 said:
Hi,

Can you please tell us what was the outcome. did you get the PR?

Regards
Name: Dandansong
Position: Newbie
Ratings: +0/-0
Date Registered: 28 April 2015, 02:43:57
Last Active: 16 May 2015, 21:53:27
I don't think that you are going to get an answer...

chimetex2002

Star Member
Mar 31, 2015
N4 58' 15.3084" E8 19" 44.9832"
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra/London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-07-2016
Nomination.....
23-08-2016
AOR Received.
10-09-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
22/09/2016, 16/02/2017
Med's Request
24-08-2016
Med's Done....
30-08-2016; Passed 12-04-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26/04/2017
His box is filled up too. Pls any successful PR applicant who had history of HBV?

zardoz said:
I don't think that you are going to get an answer...

anlindsey

Feb 26, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 25,2016
Nomination.....
March 8, 2016
AOR Received.
July 25, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical: March 28,2016
Med's Done....
Medical Passed: November 1, 2016
Hi please join the whatsapp grp for applicant with medical concerns.it's a support group.thank you.
https://chat.whatsapp.com/1GpanOiHqvm9N7vxGL4asj

waqar001

Star Member
Nov 15, 2012
Hi Guys
I have gone through medical test and below are my results:

HBsAg Positive
HBeAG Negative
HBeAB positive
Viral Load 93 IU/ml
Doctor comments: No treatment required

Any suggestion about the impact on PR??

quresa1

Feb 28, 2012
You should be fine. You gasterologist will put that in the comments he will make that you dont require any treatment.
HBeAg Negative means virus is not replicating in your body
HBeAb means your antibodies are fighting.
Anything less than 2000VL will not require treatment.
You should be ok in my opinion.

waqar001 said:
Hi Guys
I have gone through medical test and below are my results:

HBsAg Positive
HBeAG Negative
HBeAB positive
Viral Load 93 IU/ml
Doctor comments: No treatment required

Any suggestion about the impact on PR??

waqar001

Star Member
Nov 15, 2012
Thank you

Going to submit application today. Hope Allah will bless me with healthy life and Canadian immigration. Inshallah

Teebanks

Star Member
Feb 13, 2015
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London Visa Office
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10/12/2014
File Transfer...
03/03/2015
Med's Request
26/01/2017
Med's Done....
03/02/2017
Interview........
14/12/2016
Passport Req..
16/05/2017
VISA ISSUED...
30/05/2017
LANDED..........
22/06/2017
Hi all

The normal blood pressure rate is around 120/80 but mine is 128/82, should that be a cause for concern?

Regards