+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received CoPR with old passport details, already renewed passport

Jan 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

Hope any senior members like @legalfalcon or anyone who had gone through this process can help with my concern.

I just received my CoPR, but the information lists my old passport details which is expiring this coming July (2021). I had renewed my passport in February 2021 and sent it as an attachment via webform on March 23 2021. Do I need to report this? I've received the letter requesting for photos for the PR card, and am worried that the PR card I apply for will expire in July as well.

I also had submitted a bridging-over work permit application with my new passport details after sending that webform, but got notice that the application was cancelled (due to the CoPR, I'm assuming) - so I am assuming they have my new passport details. But I am still unsure.

What should I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Jan 7, 2021
In case anyone's interested on the resolution: I ended up calling the IRCC to confirm if I needed to rectify anything. The agent was super helpful and friendly, despite some pretty silly questions from my part (I was keen on making good use of my time after being on hold for over 45 minutes).

After telling her what my issue is, the agent said that any submissions via the webform can take 10 business days (2 weeks) to reflect on the account, which was why my COPR info listed my old passport details, since I submitted the webform on March 23 & my background check was completed on the 25th. She said that a COPR would not have been issued to me if they deemed that my passport wasn't valid. Additionally, the COPR document and the future PR card also isn't linked to my old passport, so nothing to worry there as well. She mentioned that the PR card will be good for the next 5 years after it is issued, so it wouldn't follow the expiry date of the passport I used to apply for my PR with. I was advised to just follow the next steps on the COPR, which was to send the PR card photos via mail for my card, so I did that earlier today.

TL;DR: Called the IRCC. Agent said that there was nothing I needed to do, and to just follow the next steps outlined in the COPR document received (i.e. send over the PR card photos with the doc) so that I could get my PR card. Yay!

Last edited:
Reactions: klein