App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
5-03-2016 / SA 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
After nine months minus one day, we have finally received my wife's CoPR and PR visa. Thank you to everyone on this forum for all your help - looking back I don't think I would have been able to figure out the application package without asking a million questions which I was sure to do on this forum.

I have a few questions about what's next.

My wife is currently visiting me here in Canada, and we're planing to book an appointment with IRCC for the 'landing'. They've given us a couple of months before that needs to be done, which leads me to my first question:

1) The visa expiry date, as mentioned on the top right of the visa sticker is I believe our deadline to do the 'landing' at IRCC? This is my main concern, if my wife travels then comes back to Canada, does that expiry date being a couple of months from now appear that the actual PR visa is expiring then? Or does she also show the PR card? I guess what I'm trying to understand is what exactly is that expiry date referring to?

2) The letter they sent along mentions that there would be an interview when we do the landing. What exactly do they ask there?

3) The category on the CoPR and on the visa sticker are not the same. Is that a reason for concern?

4) On the CoPR, what does the number of months stated under 'Undertaking (mos)' refer to?

Thanks for all your help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations!

1. She simply needs to formally `land' before the expiry date on the COPR. If she leaves Canada, she can land when she returns, as long as it's [obviously] before the expiry date. Another option, If you are near a land border, would be to `flagpole' to land.

2. It's a basic interview to make sure nothing has changed in her marital status and that she's not committed a crime or been asked to leave Canada (or any other country). Everyone has this type of interview when they actually land.

3. What do you mean? It should be a Spousal Sponsorship (Family Class) category. What does her COPR indicate?

4. This just means that you are financially responsible for her for 36 months (3 years) from the day that she lands.

jr4210

Nov 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-01-2016
AOR Received.
5-03-2016 / SA 17-03-2016
File Transfer...
28-03-2016
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
Thanks for your reply!

They gave us an option that was explained in the accompanying letter to book an appointment at an IRCC office for what I suppose would be the 'landing' since my wife is in Canada at the moment.

The CoPR mentions FC class I which I assume is family class and the visa sticker mentions IMM which I guess is immigrant. Would those be one and the same?

So my question about the expiry date of the visa is related to if my wife travelled say and when returning to Canada or anywhere you know how they check at the airport if you have the required visa to enter the country of destination, would that expiry date of the PR visa (2 months from now) be considered as the date her visa is no longer valid for the purpose of travel, or since it's an immigrant visa it's understood that she can enter Canada any time?

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jr4210 said:
Thanks for your reply!

They gave us an option that was explained in the accompanying letter to book an appointment at an IRCC office for what I suppose would be the 'landing' since my wife is in Canada at the moment.

The CoPR mentions FC class I which I assume is family class and the visa sticker mentions IMM which I guess is immigrant. Would those be one and the same?

So my question about the expiry date of the visa is related to if my wife travelled say and when returning to Canada or anywhere you know how they check at the airport if you have the required visa to enter the country of destination, would that expiry date of the PR visa (2 months from now) be considered as the date her visa is no longer valid for the purpose of travel, or since it's an immigrant visa it's understood that she can enter Canada any time?
after she land she will receive a PR card , that PR card can be used to re-enter Canada from anywhere in the world , she don't need Visa to enter Canada .

the visa is only for landing purpose .

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
jr4210 said:
Thanks for your reply!

There are two separate processes here...the landing and future entries after landing (if applicable). One question I would ask is if upon landing (even if it is just an interview) do they cancel the visa because it is a "one time entry" for the purposes of landing. You could ask the immigration officials or see if they draw a line through the visa (cancelling it) when you do the landing interview.

At the time of landing, the PR card is applied for (the immigration officer fills in the form and does it for you). The PR card takes anywhere from 30 days to 4 months....

If they cancel the one time entry visa upon landing and she travels after this, she would then have to 1) either arrange to get her PR card from Canada when it arrives and use that to enter or 2) apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (note that PRTD processing times are not quick)

If you choose not to do a landing interview and instead she leaves and then enters Canada - you can flagpole as others have suggested but this has to be done before the visa expiry date.

If she wants to leave Canada and travel...then land upon returning, she would have to ensure that her flight back to Canada is BEFORE the visa expiry date.

Hopefully this makes sense,

C.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Part of the landing process will be to cancel/void any current visas (work, study, visitor, etc.), since they are no longer needed; the person is now a PR of Canada.