+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received COPR and valid till September 21, 2019

kk09

Feb 16, 2018
Hi guys - I just received COPR and its valid till Sep 21, 2019 (My wife is a Primary applicant.). And I am on H1B in the USA. I have to definitely land in Canada before my COPR expires but I also to go to H1b stamping in Canada as my I don't have valid i-94. I filled DS 160 and I did pay the MRV fees today and started looking for dates in US consulates in Canada and there are no dates available till March 2020. I am hoping if someone cancels there appointment. Need your ideas on this. Thanks

and when looking for dates in data there's the question "Are you traveling from another country to apply for a U.S. visa in Canada? " If i say 'NO' the dates will be available. Can i select 'NO', as i will Canadian PR once i land in Canada ?

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I think you need to provide a Canadian address if you select 'No'.. basically that option is for residents of Canada. You could give your friend's address, but I am not sure how far that could go.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi guys - I just received COPR and its valid till Sep 21, 2019 (My wife is a Primary applicant.). And I am on H1B in the USA. I have to definitely land in Canada before my COPR expires but I also to go to H1b stamping in Canada as my I don't have valid i-94. I filled DS 160 and I did pay the MRV fees today and started looking for dates in US consulates in Canada and there are no dates available till March 2020. I am hoping if someone cancels there appointment. Need your ideas on this. Thanks

and when looking for dates in data there's the question "Are you traveling from another country to apply for a U.S. visa in Canada? " If i say 'NO' the dates will be available. Can i select 'NO', as i will Canadian PR once i land in Canada ?
You can select no.

Why don't you have a valid I-94? Do you have an approved H1B petition with extension of status? Is there an I-94 at the bottom of the approval notice? If yes, that is your I-94. You can use AVR in that case.

kk09

Feb 16, 2018
You can select no.

Why don't you have a valid I-94? Do you have an approved H1B petition with extension of status? Is there an I-94 at the bottom of the approval notice? If yes, that is your I-94. You can use AVR in that case.
My first H1b was valid thill sep, 2017 and I94 as well and later i applied for extension and got approved till Sep 2020 and yes, I do have the I94 at the bottom of the I797. Can this be used for AVR. if i go to this website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search, my I94 says that its expired in Sep 2017. Can i stil use AVR ?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
My first H1b was valid thill sep, 2017 and I94 as well and later i applied for extension and got approved till Sep 2020 and yes, I do have the I94 at the bottom of the I797. Can this be used for AVR. if i go to this website https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search, my I94 says that its expired in Sep 2017. Can i stil use AVR ?
CBP website only shows I-94's issued by CBP i.e. at the port of entry. I-94 issued by USCIS (through extension or change of status) does not show up there. You can use any I-94 for the purpose of AVR. Without the I-94 at the bottom of approval notice you would be illegal.
Bottomline, you are eligible for AVR. (Remember if you appear for a Visa interview while in Canada, you will not be able to return without the Visa. AVR would no longer work)

kk09

Feb 16, 2018
CBP website only shows I-94's issued by CBP i.e. at the port of entry. I-94 issued by USCIS (through extension or change of status) does not show up there. You can use any I-94 for the purpose of AVR. Without the I-94 at the bottom of approval notice you would be illegal.
Bottomline, you are eligible for AVR. (Remember if you appear for a Visa interview while in Canada, you will not be able to return without the Visa. AVR would no longer work)
Thank you, called CBP too. They confirmed.