+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received copr and copy of passport back however....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you are from a visa exempt country and have COPR, you actually do not need eTA but some airlines are not aware of this and might create problems. I have read in this forum people recommending to get eTA online which does not cost much.
When a person checks in for their flight, the system gives a "Board" or "No board" response. When the COPR is issued, an electronic authorization is also issued in that system to give a "Board" response. It is not an ETA but works the exact same way, so for simplicity's sake, I call this an eTA.

Reactions: Manzana

Manzana

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
Hi

1, The op's spouse doesn't require an ETA, he has a COPR , with his passport that is sufficient as Mexican citizens are visitor visa exempt.
I couldn't agree more. Some of these ppl above are giving misleading answers. Not cool.

Manzana

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
I picked up my CoPR today at an embassy (visa-exempt country) and I asked about the whole eTa thing. I was told that there will be information about my PR when they scan my passport before the flight. Think about it. Those with stamped visas on their passports from visa-required countries do not need eTa. CIC definitely thought everything out, it wouldn't make sense or be fair that we would have to apply for an eTa. Even if it's quick and cheap, we are not supposed to do any extra steps. You get instructions with the CoPR that do not say anything about it either. So don't worry and let us know after your flight about how it went.
Thank you very much for posting this info. Cheers!

Manzana

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
Remember this friends: Our spouses are immigrating as permanent residents, not as visitors or workers, etc. The COPR should suffice along with their passports and their itineraries.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Remember this friends: Our spouses are immigrating as permanent residents, not as visitors or workers, etc. The COPR should suffice along with their passports and their itineraries.
It makes zero difference to the commercial carrier whether a person is immigrating or coming as a temporary resident. The requirement is the exact same regardless: a visa in the passport, an electronic authorization or an American passport. The COPR is irrelevant when it comes to actually travelling to Canada.

Manzana

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
It makes zero difference to the commercial carrier whether a person is immigrating or coming as a temporary resident. The requirement is the exact same regardless: a visa in the passport, an electronic authorization or an American passport. The COPR is irrelevant when it comes to actually travelling to Canada.
Hi canuck!
Just curious and why not for my knowledge: The American piece of your post, is that only if in your travel you will be touching U.S. soil?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi canuck!
Just curious and why not for my knowledge: The American piece of your post, is that only if in your travel you will be touching U.S. soil?
Nothing to do with "touching US soil". Americans are both eTA-exempt and visa-exempt, so they can travel to Canada on the strength of their passport.

Manzana

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
Nothing to do with "touching US soil". Americans are both eTA-exempt and visa-exempt, so they can travel to Canada on the strength of their passport.
My question arises because I question the electronic authorization or American passport piece of your post.. my husband will be travelling without touching U.S. soil and therefore I believe he does not need anything else except his passport with its CORP and whatever else attached to it or stamped. I read somewhere else that 'something should pop up' when they scan his passport and COPR as he passes the airline counter. Pls clarify this for me. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My question arises because I question the electronic authorization or American passport piece of your post.. my husband will be travelling without touching U.S. soil and therefore I believe he does not need anything else except his passport with its CORP and whatever else attached to it or stamped. I read somewhere else that 'something should pop up' when they scan his passport and COPR as he passes the airline counter. Pls clarify this for me. Thanks
I really don't understand where you are getting the "US soil" thing from. I have said nothing remotely like that. Once again, in order to board a commercial carrier, a temporary resident must have a TRV OR an electronic authorization OR an American passport.

As per the previous posts, if your husband is visa-exempt, he will have been issued an electronic authorization.

Reactions: kcward7

SandhuHarry

Star Member
Jan 13, 2016
I picked up my CoPR today at an embassy (visa-exempt country) and I asked about the whole eTa thing. I was told that there will be information about my PR when they scan my passport before the flight. Think about it. Those with stamped visas on their passports from visa-required countries do not need eTa. CIC definitely thought everything out, it wouldn't make sense or be fair that we would have to apply for an eTa. Even if it's quick and cheap, we are not supposed to do any extra steps. You get instructions with the CoPR that do not say anything about it either. So don't worry and let us know after your flight about how it went.
Congratulations once again. Just wanted to know if you are taking any document from Poland to prove your driving experience & history apart from driving license. Thanks!