Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
25-03-2017

expat2be

Feb 23, 2017
xpressentry said:
It's similar to Canada. Look up your occupation. It is either in the skilled occupation list (SOL) or Consolidated skilled occupation list (CSOL). If your occupation is on the SOL, you can get PR. If it is on the CSOL, you need a state nomination. If you get a state nomination, you get a 4 year visa leading into PR. In that 4 year visa, if you need to work in that occupation for at least 12 months over a 2 year period, you can get PR and go anywhere you want. Until then you are bound to the state and cant go anywhere else.

You have to get your skilled assessed and then enter an EOI. They have draws and then send an invite. The good think about the Australian draw is that they announce the dates and the number of invitations in advance so you dont have to refresh the page like a Canadian draw.
you just about summed it up. anyway if you need more info you can always check a forum called expatforum which is like canadavisa but is mostly about australia. i used to look up stuff on it and the posts and people there were very helpful and i didnt need to use an agent.

expat2be

Feb 23, 2017
xpressentry said:
Australian PR costs more than Canadian PR. I would consider that an investment as Australia has a stable economy, hasnt seen a recession in years and the weather is good.

PR in the UK is a massive rip off. I think any visa in the UK is by far the most expensive I have ever applied for. It is not an investment. It just a waste of money, you will never see again.
i had applied to australia as my CRS score was way below the average draw in canada so i didnt expect to be drawn, and all of the sudden i receive an invitation on march 1st to apply for FSWP!

to be honest i think canada might be a better option for me as its closer to my home country for regular visits and i have many friends there and my uncle lives in the US 3 hours away from ontario so i can always go to visit (i have a US valid visa) but like you said the downside is the weather and having to get licensed to work in my field but i heard you get used to that.

Chef Sumit

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I am in similar situation, please do help me with your opinion. We have submitted the application (AOR 31st March) and all the fees to CIC including the landing fees.
Yesterday i got invitation from Australia as well and next step is apply and pay fees for DIBP.

-How do we pick between the two countries. (I have not visited either one of them however I was in NYC for one year.
-We desperately need a pr due to personal reasons and we do not want to risk our chances so we are inclined to pay the fees for Australia and let the process continue however eventually we will only pick one country and lose around 5000 USD in case we pay the fees for Australia.

Please advise, TIA.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Please choose Canada if you prefer US proximity. Canadians passport has visa free access to US and they never ever need to go to US consulate for a visa. Like if you or your kid wants to study in US university, you can just get admission, and walk in to US with required proof of funds for education and doesn't require F1 visa. There are visas that allow people to work without any sponsorship hassles. Australians have NZ access, but NZ is nothing in front of US.

Apart from that weather is the only big differing factor between both the countries. Standard of live is going to be the same as both are developed nations.

First skilled job is really hard to crack in both the places and job market isn't any exciting too. Although Australian economy is considered to be stable, job scene is no different from what it is in Canada.. the saying Phds driving cabs is applicable there too. I believe since points based system lets people in without job offers, first job becomes really hard for anyone with foreign experience/without local networks.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Chef Sumit said:
Hi Guys,

I am in similar situation, please do help me with your opinion. We have submitted the application (AOR 31st March) and all the fees to CIC including the landing fees.
Yesterday i got invitation from Australia as well and next step is apply and pay fees for DIBP.

-How do we pick between the two countries. (I have not visited either one of them however I was in NYC for one year.
-We desperately need a pr due to personal reasons and we do not want to risk our chances so we are inclined to pay the fees for Australia and let the process continue however eventually we will only pick one country and lose around 5000 USD in case we pay the fees for Australia.

Please advise, TIA.
You are chef so you are in demand in every country. Both countries are totally different from the other. Australian processing time is 3 months while Canada is 6 months. Australia fees are more expensive but the weather is good and the economy is stable. Australian salaries are higher. Canada has high taxes. Australia doesn't have Justin Trudeau. If the CANZUK happens, citizens from Canada, Australia, New Zealand and post brexit UK will have free movement. Your occupation is under NAFTA so you can work in USA without a visa.

My suggestion is get both. Be in Australia from November to April and Canada from May to October. Enjoy the best of the weather in both worlds and you will never complain of the snow ans fulfill your residency obligations. Difficult to implement if you have kids and they attend school.

Chef Sumit

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
DEEPCUR said:
By the by what is the processing time for Australian PR from the day documents are submitted?
I started the process last December. Sorted all the documents first.

Applied for skill assessment in January (document check followed by Skype interview)- it took 3 months to get the outcome which was successful.

Post that I submitted EOI on 10th April & fortunately got invitation on 12th April.

Now I have to apply for visa and pay the fees and also submit medical & pcc's. This is can take from 3 weeks to 3 months.

Chef Sumit

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xpressentry said:
You are chef so you are in demand in every country. Both countries are totally different from the other. Australian processing time is 3 months while Canada is 6 months. Australia fees are more expensive but the weather is good and the economy is stable. Australian salaries are higher. Canada has high taxes. Australia doesn't have Justin Trudeau. If the CANZUK happens, citizens from Canada, Australia, New Zealand and post brexit UK will have free movement. Your occupation is under NAFTA so you can work in USA without a visa.

My suggestion is get both. Be in Australia from November to April and Canada from May to October. Enjoy the best of the weather in both worlds and you will never complain of the snow ans fulfill your residency obligations. Difficult to implement if you have kids and they attend school.

Thank you.

We do not have kids yet :)

Can you please explain NAFTA and how can I work in USA without a visa? This will applicable with Canada or Australia pr?

Also can we PR from two countries.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Chef Sumit said:
Thank you.

We do not have kids yet :)

Can you please explain NAFTA and how can I work in USA without a visa? This will applicable with Canada or Australia pr?
applies to USA, Mexico and Canada

Also can we PR from two countries.
yes, as long as you can maintain your residency obligations in both

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
xpressentry said:

Last part is big NO! When you apply Canadian citizenship, the officer will not like if they see PR from another country linked to your passport. They may issue a RQ for the strange residency pattern and ask you give up your Australian PR. You can google this forum and see how many people got issues for having permanent residency visa with another country and being asked it give it up during citizenship interview. And one has to be in Canada for the whole time (short trips might be okay) after applying for citizenship till the point they get it and this kind of work set up would never work, even if you get employments sorted out at both countries.

Already applicants are coming under lots of scrutiny for using Canadian citizenship as a citizenship of convenience and this was one main reason they introduced intent to reside clause in last bill that mandated four years of residency for citizenship.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
NAFTA is applicable only for citizens and not for PRs. One can work within countries (using TN visa meant for NAFTA) only if the occupation happens to be the list of occupations specified in the agreement. And bachelor degree is a must to work through TN, and in US 3 year degree will be considered only as associate degree, not bachelor degree.

shrinivaskk

Star Member
Dec 17, 2015
Since the CRS was not moving below 450 and I had maxed out on Education, IELTS & Age. I had to apply for Australian PR process.

Now, I have got the ITA for canada too. Similar situation as whether to move to Australia (which will dig a big hole in my POF) or wait till the canada application result.

And yes, its freaking expensive - $6300 AUD for a family of 3.

This is my timeline of Australian PR. Never knew that I would get a direct grant of Visa within 7 days of applying for the PR.

ACS Submitted - 19th Jan 2017
ACS +ve Received - 27th Jan
EOI Submitted - 27th Jan
ITA Received - 01st March
PCC & Medicals - 11th March
Visa Lodged - 13th March (Frontload all documents) along with payment.

Direct Grant - 22nd March 2017
IED - 07th Feb 2018

Let me know if anyone is interested to know more details on Australian PR. More than happy to help.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
shrinivaskk said:
Since the CRS was not moving below 450 and I had maxed out on Education, IELTS & Age. I had to apply for Australian PR process.

Now, I have got the ITA for canada too. Similar situation as whether to move to Australia (which will dig a big hole in my POF) or wait till the canada application result.

This is my timeline of Australian PR. Never knew that I would get a direct grant of Visa within 7 days of applying for the PR.

EOI Submitted - 27th Jan

IED - 07th Feb 2018

Let me know if anyone is interested to know more details on Australian PR. More than happy to help.
So is it direct reject and refund like Canada or a chance is given to submit the missing docs during processing?

Chef Sumit

Star Member
Oct 7, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shrinivaskk said:

EOI Submitted - 27th Jan

IED - 07th Feb 2018

Hi so you have paid fees for both?

Also one question can we use same PCC for both, I have 3 PCC from India, Sri Lanka and USA. India and Sri Lanka PCC are addressed to CIC. Can I use it for Australia or will it be a problem.

It will also be interesting to hear from somebody who has lived in both countries.