+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Receive passport request but my visa is expiring in less than 6 months

Hira Shah

Oct 29, 2022
I received passport request yesterday, however the passport I submitted with my application is expiring in less than 6 months.

Can i renew my passport and submit a renewed one or submit same passport with 5 months validity, get the visa stamped and then travel with renewed passport?

Need quick responses from people who undergo similar issue and how you sorted this out?

vijayar

Star Member
Sep 16, 2022
I received passport request yesterday, however the passport I submitted with my application is expiring in less than 6 months.

Can i renew my passport and submit a renewed one or submit same passport with 5 months validity, get the visa stamped and then travel with renewed passport?

Need quick responses from people who undergo similar issue and how you sorted this out?
You have to give only your old passport for stamping as you given the old passport details in your application. You will get visa validity till the expiry date of your old passport. Once the visa is stamped you can apply for a new passport. You will have to carry both passports while travelling.

Post visa expiry you need to apply for visa again. If you make a trip to Canada before visa expiry and return to your home country well within the visa expiry date your chances of getting new visa improves.

Can you share your visa timelines from when you submitted your application ? Normally any country will require passport to be valid for minimum of 6 months while applying for Visa. Find it odd that you got your ppr with validity less than 6 months remaining.

Last edited:

ouahmed611

Feb 10, 2021
Hi @Hira Shah,
Not an expert opinion. But, if I would be at your place, I’d renew the passport and send the new passport, along with the copy of old passport and letter of explanation for stamping.

vijayar

Star Member
Sep 16, 2022
Your passport request for visa stamping is valid for 30 days. Depending on the city you are in (I am guessing you are in India) renewal of passport will take anywhere between 25 to 45 days. You will be cutting it too fine for the stamping and risk missing the due date.

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017

assume you carry a indian passport indian passport allowed to renewal before 1 years before if you able to renew passport very shorter time frame is ok other wise send current passport there is problem every country ask to passport 6 month or more validity if you get visa stamp you can carry booth passport all the time.

belle1201

Dec 9, 2022

hi, I am in the same situation. what did you do

ouahmed611

Feb 10, 2021
hi, I am in the same situation. what did you do
Get your passport renewed if you can manage to do so within 30 days time limit and send the new passport for visa stamping.

We did it with my sisters passport and she got the visa until the validity of her new passport.

belle1201

Dec 9, 2022
Get your passport renewed if you can manage to do so within 30 days time limit and send the new passport for visa stamping.

We did it with my sisters passport and she got the visa until the validity of her new passport.
Thank you. I am not sure we can get the passport renewed in 30 days. My country’s passport renewal process is weird

Wish21

Apr 23, 2021

Now I am in same situation. I am inside Canada applicant. My son got passport request for permanent residence. He is in India but is passport is going to expire in less than 6 months. Should we renew it, and then submit new one or should we send old one. Please help me out.