File Transfer...
07-08-2012
Med's Done....
10-04-2012
Interview........
20-11-2012
Passport Req..
03-01-2013
I'm wondering if any of you permanent residents out there can help me determine the benefits for becoming a citizen of Canada.
So far I'm understanding you'll be able to obtain a Canadian passport and vote, what else am I missing?

The way that you are taxed by the government, will that change at all?

What other benefits is there?
Thanks so much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Other benefits include 100% freedom of travel or living overseas without worrying about a residency requirement and the ability to pass your citizenship on to your children even if they are not born in Canada as well as the ability to sponsor a spouse for PR without having to live in Canada yourself.

cocosyr

Star Member
Mar 30, 2012
Leon said:
Other benefits include 100% freedom of travel or living overseas without worrying about a residency requirement and the ability to pass your citizenship on to your children even if they are not born in Canada as well as the ability to sponsor a spouse for PR without having to live in Canada yourself.
Many of us don't give a sh*t about Canada or Canadian politics after years of living here, so don't give a f--k about our voting rights. We just want to get the hell out of here before being bled to death due to very high living expenses and lack of meaningful employment opportunities. But CIC is doing its best to lock us up here as long as possible by delaying citizenship app processing these days, making us go nuts!

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
cocosyr said:
Many of us don't give a sh*t about Canada or Canadian politics after years of living here, so don't give a f--k about our voting rights. We just want to get the hell out of here before being bled to death due to very high living expenses and lack of meaningful employment opportunities. But CIC is doing its best to lock us up here as long as possible by delaying citizenship app processing these days, making us go nuts!
Why are you even here then?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He is probably one of those guys that wants Canadian citizenship for back pocket purposes. It can come in very handy if you live in a war zone. If it gets too dangerous for you, you can always call the Canadian embassy and ask them to arrange emergency transport to get you out of there.

I don't actually agree with that kind of thing. Maybe Canada should stop offering such services. If somebody chooses to travel to or live in a war zone, that is really their own problem, isn't it?

saphi

Star Member
Feb 21, 2012
cocosyr people like you give us Immigrant a bad rep.. if you dont like it here you can leave at anytime you dump @$$!!!!!!!!!!!!... AND STOP BAD MOUTHING THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY...

ZYXWVU98

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
you avoided the hassle of renewing your PR card every 5 years. you have more chance landing a government job. it is easier for you to travel overseas, especially US under NAFTA agreement. plus if your original country allows for dual citizenship, you virtually lost nothing. plus after you become a citizen, you can leave canada as long as you wish not worrying about cannot come back. if you are a canadian citizen happen to find a job in some low paying countries, it adds more bargain chip for a higher salary if your employer really wants to hire you because they know you always have the option of going back to canada having a NA standard salary.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
saphi said:
cocosyr people like you give us Immigrant a bad rep.. if you dont like it here you can leave at anytime you dump @ $$!!!!!!!!!!!!... AND STOP BAD MOUTHING THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY...
+1 well said

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
He is probably one of those guys that wants Canadian citizenship for back pocket purposes. It can come in very handy if you live in a war zone. If it gets too dangerous for you, you can always call the Canadian embassy and ask them to arrange emergency transport to get you out of there.

I don't actually agree with that kind of thing. Maybe Canada should stop offering such services. If somebody chooses to travel to or live in a war zone, that is really their own problem, isn't it?
I thought Canada is not supposed to help if you're residing in a country of your another citizenship. Lebanon 2006 was admittedly a Canadian government's mistake and won't be repeated.

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saphi said:
cocosyr people like you give us Immigrant a bad rep.. if you dont like it here you can leave at anytime you dump @ $$!!!!!!!!!!!!... AND STOP BAD MOUTHING THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY...
Exactly. You don't have to be a Canadian citizen to leave Canada!

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i want to vote godamitt!
just kidding

so i dont have to apply for a visa for every frikkin country i want to visit like i have to do with my current passport.

Another month and i can get my canadian passport to flash around at border crossings. Yeehaw!

just_do_it

Nov 20, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cocosyr said:
I will pitch in if you buy a one way ticket back to wherever you came from, TODAY!

cadvis

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
cocosyr said:
I totally agree...

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
cadvis said:
I totally agree...
Here is a reason to become a citizen. You can be stripped of your PR status and deported. But as of yet they can't strip you of citizenship. It happened to somebody in this news article here: http://www2.canada.com/cowichanvalleycitizen/news/story.html?id=b2ade928-932d-4c44-844d-f7d45e921036

If she had gotten citizenship, like she could have, she would not be facing deportation right now for a silly mistake on her paperwork.

And if you guys don't like Canada - please just go home.