+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reason for not havign marriage certificate?

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
Hello,

I am applying for my dad's super-visa, and part of the requirement is the marriage certificate, which my mom and dad never bothered to get. As I understand, both my parents' passports listing together can be used to verify the relation. However, CIC also asks to provide reason why the marriage certificate is absent and why cant a new one be created. Source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1540&top=14

• If your parents don’t have a marriage certificate
    If you can’t get one, include a detailed explanation as to why you can’t.
So is there something special that I should mention about why cant we get a marriage certificate? To whoever has run into this before, did you do anything special about this?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

I am applying for my dad's super-visa, and part of the requirement is the marriage certificate, which my mom and dad never bothered to get. As I understand, both my parents' passports listing together can be used to verify the relation. However, CIC also asks to provide reason why the marriage certificate is absent and why cant a new one be created. Source: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1540&top=14

So is there something special that I should mention about why cant we get a marriage certificate? To whoever has run into this before, did you do anything special about this?
If you are considering apply to sponsor your parents vai PGP, you will be asked for the marriage certificate too.
So if it is possible try to get their marriage certificate, try to get it done now. I have seen posters getting that of parents years after (recently for the purpose of PGP).

Passport is not a common document to proof marriage.

Last edited:
Reactions: karanbir498

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
It seems to me that only you or your parents would know if there was "something special". If you guys don't know, I doubt any stranger here will turn up something in that class.

It seems to me that what needs to be done is to address head-on what is asked. You are asked for a marriage certificate. The link to which you have referred us says this:
  • If your parents don’t have a marriage certificate
    If you can’t get one, include a detailed explanation as to why you can’t.

So, can they get one? I can imagine it might be difficult, but the IRCC does not seem to be saying "if it's a hassle, forget about it. We don't want to inconvenience anyone." It appears that you are expected to make reasonable inquiries of appropriate authorities and follow the steps required to procure the certificate. If, for example, the Director of Vital Statistics for their country provides them with a letter saying (again for example): "We regret to inform you that the state does not keep records going back as far as the date of your marriage and, without such records, this office cannot honour your request for a marriage certificate." THAT might be an adequate explanation for "why you can't".

Perhaps I am mistaken and being unfair, but, right now, it looks like you see getting the certificate as a headache and you are looking for an easy fix. If I am incorrect in that assessment, my apology. Maybe you have already moved heaven and earth and have exhausted all resources in a failed effort to come up with a marriage certificate.

You are correct to an extent, it'll be a big hassle getting the marriage certificate cos my mom is currently visiting me and she just arrived few days ago. Feels like a waste of ticket+money sending her back for this. But it seems like this would be the only viable move here, so we'll consider it. Thanks for the response!

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
If you are considering apply to sponsor your parents vai PGP, you will be asked for the marriage certificate too.
So if it is possible try to get their marriage certificate. I have seen posters getting that of parents years after (recently for the purpose of PGP).

Passport is not a common document to proof marriage.
I see, good to know. Thanks, will look into getting it.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You are correct to an extent, it'll be a big hassle getting the marriage certificate cos my mom is currently visiting me and she just arrived few days ago. Feels like a waste of ticket+money sending her back for this. But it seems like this would be the only viable move here, so we'll consider it. Thanks for the response!
Do both of them need to be there to obtain the marriage certificate? Double check the process before you ask your mom to travel back.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Have you asked your embassy if they can provide one? Likely there would be costs associated with the process but the worst thing they can do is to say no.