+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

reason for not doing full wedding and just a small function

jadugarbaba

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
hi guys

can i give reason that i have a student line of credit and that is why i chose to do a small function with all the ceremonies instead of doing a big lavish wedding....as i need to pay that on time....

can this be used as a reason?

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We literally got married in city hall with about 6 guests and then went for dinner. Never been questioned. Time, money and the fact that our family are all miles away were all factors

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jadugarbaba said:
ok but can i give reason that i need to pay my line of credit so no plans for big wedding
Have you been asked why you didn't have a big wedding? I see no reason why you can't say that if asked

jadugarbaba

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
i am yet to apply for spousal sponsor...we are from india and we usually have big wedding...but i dont want to spend as i want to focus on getting the line of credit finished plus also save for some courses she can do here..

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jadugarbaba said:
i am yet to apply for spousal sponsor...we are from india and we usually have big wedding...but i dont want to spend as i want to focus on getting the line of credit finished plus also save for some courses she can do here..
I seriously doubt it will ever be called into question.

IamGill

Star Member
Mar 6, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
28-02-2017
AOR Received.
08-03-2017
File Transfer...
02-05-2017
Med's Request
10-04-2017 (Passed)
Med's Done....
11-04-2017 (DM on 1-08-2017)
Passport Req..
07-08-2017 (Submitted on 08-08-2017)
VISA ISSUED...
14-08-2017
LANDED..........
23-08-2017
OhCanada77 said:
I seriously doubt it will ever be called into question.
It is one of the red flags actually. Because the visa officers consider the culture and in the Indian culture we've big weddings. I've heard many instances where the visa officers questioned the marriage due to a small function. It is silly for visa officers to question that because not every one can afford a big wedding...

But I think you can have small functions as long as your family and relatives are there.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
OhCanada77 said:
We literally got married in city hall with about 6 guests and then went for dinner. Never been questioned. Time, money and the fact that our family are all miles away were all factors
You're British - entirely different situation.

IamGill said:
It is one of the red flags actually. Because the visa officers consider the culture and in the Indian culture we've big weddings. I've heard many instances where the visa officers questioned the marriage due to a small function. It is silly for visa officers to question that because not every one can afford a big wedding...

But I think you can have small functions as long as your family and relatives are there.
Yes, it is a red flag for an Indian couple to have a small wedding without all of the usual ceremonies. What is your relationship history? Is it an arranged marriage? How much time have you actually spent together in person?

OhCanada77

Star Member
Oct 18, 2015
England
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
You're British - entirely different situation.

Yes, it is a red flag for an Indian couple to have a small wedding without all of the usual ceremonies. What is your relationship history? Is it an arranged marriage? How much time have you actually spent together in person?

Ahh my apologies. I wasn't taking the cultural issues into consideration.

trikiliki

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
PARIS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23/08/2016
AOR Received.
22/09/2016
File Transfer...
22/09/2016
Med's Done....
PASSED UPFRONT
Interview........
RECOMMENDED
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
OhCanada77 said:
Ahh my apologies. I wasn't taking the cultural issues into consideration.
You know within the last 10 years or so, whether due to technology exposing people to alternate ways of life, ideas, opinions, people they would not have met otherwise, opportunities to work and study in other countries, advances and shifts in societal norms, and what not...People and mentalities are changing.

I think the measurement of cultural norms, not just in India but many other places where culture and tradition has been ingrained and reigned supreme for so long, is now becoming kind of an archaic and unfair way to measure the genuineness of peoples relationships. People around the globe are finding each other and coming together, moving away from religion, resisting pressure from family, starting to express their individuality, learning new things, experiencing things they would not have been able to before this time in our history. We live in a time where people are changing their genders, gay rights are supported, women have access to education and jobs, humankind is connected all around the planet, and so many other things are happening. We live in different times.

If Canada accepts gay common-law relationships from countries where homosexuality is against the law and certainly would be considered "not the norm" they why the discrimination for other variances in peoples choices and experiences in these same countries?

Judging the validity of a relationship based on; the size of a wedding when in Canada the cost of buying a house is almost unattainable and people would rather be less frivolous and save that money for their future together,age differences when advances in health care, people living more healthy lifestyles, and the celebration of older yet still hot celebrities, makes age less of an issue for people, and previous marriages/divorce when this has become a common and acceptable occurrence for most of the first world, is not fair or accurate.

Also, the pool of potential candidates people now have access to has grown exponentially with so much travel, current technology, and all the dating sites and communication apps that exist so the likelihood people will meet people from different backgrounds and walks of life is very likely. And apparently opposites attract!

I agree CI|C has to be diligent in weeding out fraud and marriages of convenience, and perhaps if there are enough of those indicators in an application or not enough proof supporting the genuineness of a relationship then of course it begs further scrutiny. But when the world at large seems to have developed a more open mindedness and is enjoying this new evolution and freedom in dating and relationships on an international level, CIC needs to follow suit and recognize that and also maybe be a little more careful in not letting their own personal biases cloud their decisions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
trikiliki said:
I agree CI|C has to be diligent in weeding out fraud and marriages of convenience, and perhaps if there are enough of those indicators in an application or not enough proof supporting the genuineness of a relationship then of course it begs further scrutiny. But when the world at large seems to have developed a more open mindedness and is enjoying this new evolution and freedom in dating and relationships on an international level, CIC needs to follow suit and recognize that and also maybe be a little more careful in not letting their own personal biases cloud their decisions.
It isn't personal bias. IRCC needs a baseline in order to evaluate relationships and culture definitely plays into developing that baseline, especially in countries where formal arranged marriages are still very much prevalent.

Like any other red flag, if it can be explained and justified, there should be no issues with the app. There are couples from India and similar countries who have succeeded in their apps with a small civil ceremony by showing a strong relationship history.