+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REAPPLYING FOR TRV

ekamari

Jun 25, 2012
Hello everyone! Thank you for reading my post!
I am a Russian citizen currently residing in the US on F1 visa. My boyfriend happens to be Canadian and we go to the same grad school here. We met in the US and have been together for almost 8 months now. Recently we visited Russia together.
In April for the first time I applied for the Canadian multiple entry visa because I had read that it is reasonable for international students to apply for a multiple visa since it's close and it's nice to go for vacations. I sent to the LA Consulate all the required documents, including those from my school to confirm my enrollment, bank statement indicating more than 2000 dollars for a 1 week of intended stay, an invitation from my boyfriend where he was saying that I would be staying with him in his household. We decided not to say that we were in a relationship though, because on the website of the Consulate they imply by a "relationship" that you have been together for more than 1 year... at least that was how I understood it. Plus it is known to be a tricky topic & and we didn't know what was better to do. So we wrote that we were good friends and I am coming to visit for 1 week - which was absolute truth. We are both less than halfway through in our programs and don't I intend to go live in Canada.
I did not provide an air ticket though.
Despite all that I got denied in a visitor's visa. In the note they sent me back they indicated 2 reasons: 1) history of travel 2) financial state.

I can understand why they could find my travel history insufficient (I had just got a new passport before applying for the F1 visa, so my passport is pretty much empty). But the funds remained a mistery for me! Also, I don't understand why the documents from an accredited US college didn't count as a good enough proof of the absence of immigration intentions.
I mean, I pay 60K dollars for this education, & it is a Master's program...

My man & I really want me to be able to visit his hometown. There are not a lot of options to choose from due to our school schedules. Besides, I got really disencouraged by that denial... But if I do reapply, what would you recommend to consider/change?
Maybe go to a personal interview to LA? If so, should I say that he is my boyfriend or it would only reduce my chances to get the visa? It really feels like either way is wrong!...

Any suggestions will be grately appreciated.

Regards,
Eka