+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reapplying for TRV after rejection - Any advice would be appreciated

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hello friends,

I applied TRV for my in-laws (online)in June and it got rejected. Below are the timelines.

19-June: Application Submitted Online
20-June: Your application is in progress. Submitted Stage
07-July: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
13-July: Final Decision made. Not Approved.

From expert members in the forum I came to know the mistake I did. In the invite letter I mentioned that I am inviting my in-laws to help my wife during pregnancy. Thanks to Bryanna for pointing out clearly the mistake I did. Also I said i the invite letter that they will stay here for 3 months (another mistake of mentioning a longer term)

Now its been a month. My wife delivered baby on 1-Aug. Can I re-apply TRV for them stating the purpose of visit as " Sightseeing and to visit the family especially the new born grand child" Please advise.

the rejection reason provided by visa officer is as below:
I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your personal assets and financial status.

I cant do anything for travel history as they have traveled only to Saudi Arabia.
For purpose of visit, I will be now mentioning that they are coming to visit the attraction places in Canada and to visit the family especially the new born grand child and they will be here for 2 weeks.
For Financial status, will it be sufficient if I show my canadian bank statement and how much money should I show in my bank statement. Kindly advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IRCC wants to see that the individuals visiting have sufficient funds in their own accounts to pay for the visit. Ideally your in-laws should be the ones to show they have sufficient proof of funds.

Reactions: ubfx

ubfx

Oct 6, 2017
IRCC wants to see that the individuals visiting have sufficient funds in their own accounts to pay for the visit. Ideally your in-laws should be the ones to show they have sufficient proof of funds.
agree with @scylla plus the points they mentioned are key travel history they will need for sure without that no matter there is emergency they aren''t going to change the decision plus there should be solid purpose of visit like if you apply now for a visitor tourism it might refuse again because of lake of travel history and why want to visit canada only where only few attractions not many like other countries so better if you focus on their travel history and financial before apply Good Luck

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Thanks Scylla and ubfx for the response.

Its been 45 days now since the TRV got rejected for my in-laws. Now since my wife delivered baby on 1-Aug, can I now mention in the invite letter that they are coming here to see their grand child and also to attend the religious ritual function for the baby. Along with this, they also intend to visit few attraction places like Niagara etc and total duration of stay is 2 weeks. Does this sound a good reason for their "purpose of visit" since I messed up last time saying that they are coming here to help my wife during pregnancy and the period of stay as 3 months. Please advise.

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Hi Scylla, actually last time when I applied TRV for my in-laws, I did not show my bank statement. I showed my father in law bank statement having ~14k CAD. Stil it got rejected. So only I asked now when I re-apply, whether should I also show my canadian bank statement to support their stay here for 2 weeks

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
I am not an expert. This is only my experience.
1. Financially, your support will help. Both my parents and in-law have little in their bank statement, and we attached all ours and promise to help. I believe for parents visiting their kids, this help is reasonable and very reliable especially for Asian family ties;
2. Show enough proof why your in-law can live in their country without difficulty. Low income something not that bad if living cost is small. Show as much as possible their tie with original country;
3. Add some travel history if you can. This will prove their willing to go back to original country. If you have visited USA and returned, you are a good visitor, this is simple. If you are not willing to do this but submit the application, you could explain why your in-law has so little travel abroad. They can work hard and have no time or just simply don't like to visit other country with cultural or lingal barrior or what ever you think so. But you DO need to mention this to dismiss their question about travel history;
4. Officers make their decision by what you give. Don't give up your right to make your case pass. Anything make your in-law vivid not just a name will help. Officers are human being, they need to FEEL you to make decision.
5. Your letter could focus on the three reasons you get from previous application. I did this for my father in-law's appeal by an email, attach all staff I mentioned above, and got approved in two weeks.

Last edited:

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I am not an expert. This is only my experience.
1. Financially, your support will help. Both my parents and in-law have little in their bank statement, and we attached all ours and promise to help. I believe for parents visiting their kids, this help is reasonable and very reliable especially for Asian family ties;
2. Show enough proof why your in-law can live in their country without difficulty. Low income something not that bad if living cost is small. Show as much as possible their tie with original country;
3. Add some travel history if you can. This will prove their willing to go back to original country. If you have visited USA and returned, you are a good visitor, this is simple. If you are not willing to do this but submit the application, you could explain why your in-law has so little travel abroad. They can work hard and have no time or just simply don't like to visit other country with cultural or lingal barrior or what ever you think so. But you DO need to mention this to dismiss their question about travel history;
4. Officers make their decision by what you give. Don't give up your right to make your case pass. Anything make your in-law vivid not just a name will help. Officers are human being, they need to FEEL you to make decision.
Thank you dear for the detailed reply. Actually my in-laws have lot of property and getting rental income, but the problem is they get rent as cash in hand and not through bank deposit. Also my father in law has agriculture land and he himself cultivates and harvest. So can I show the agriculture property in his name (translated to english since it is in local language). Will this act as a strong tie to the country he lives?

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Don't mention cash income pls...and I am not sure how large the land is, and your father-in-law do this just by himself?
The best way to show their status in their home, is STABLE income to cover health care, residence, food, entertainment...not how rich they are.
The logical between they position / education / income is what the officers want.
One of my friend is really rich but was rejected. Money is not the most important issue. Your income should match who you are. Then you are a REAL person and will get credit.
And your STABLE income to cover all cost of their visit is also important. Say, permanent position, large enough living space (not a one bedroom apt)...prove your commendation won't make you bankruptcy and ruin your living quality.

Last edited:

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
agree with @scylla plus the points they mentioned are key travel history they will need for sure without that no matter there is emergency they aren''t going to change the decision plus there should be solid purpose of visit like if you apply now for a visitor tourism it might refuse again because of lake of travel history and why want to visit canada only where only few attractions not many like other countries so better if you focus on their travel history and financial before apply Good Luck
It's not a must to have to travel a lot to visit Canada. Travel history helps officers to make decision.But you can explain why there is so little before. I did so by explain that my father-in-law doesn't like to visit aboard with communication barrier but he wants to visit us and we will take care of him (proof). He got approved.

Last edited:

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Don't mention cash income pls...and I am not sure how large the land is, and your father-in-law do this just by himself?
The best way to show their status in their home, is STABLE income to cover health care, residence, food, entertainment...not how rich they are.
The logical between they position / education / income is what the officers want.
One of my friend is really rich but was rejected. Money is not the most important issue. Your income should match who you are. Then you are a REAL person and will get credit.
And your STABLE income to cover all cost of their visit is also important. Say, permanent position, large enough living space (not a one bedroom apt)...prove your commendation won't make you bankruptcy and ruin your living quality.
Many thx dear for the input. The agri land is neither small nor very big. He does cultivate and harvest with a team of 3 to 5 members who work for him on daily basis. But my father in law should be there otherwise work will never move and moreover he himself fold his sleeves and get in to the field as he is more passionate about agriculture.

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It's not a must to have to travel a lot to visit Canada. Travel history helps officers to make decision.But you can explain why there is so little before. I did so by explain that my father-in-law doesn't like to visit aboard with communication barrier but he wants to visit us and we will take care of him (proof). He got approved.
Great to know more about travel history. So far my in-laws have travelled only to Saudi Arabia to perform religious rituals and they were back within 15 days to India. So now when I reapply, I will mention in the invite letter that my in-laws have communication barrier and since they are aged they need somebody in the visiting country to help them move around places. Also they travelled to Saudi Arabia to perform religious rituals when my family was there and they dont have any relatives in other countries. Now since we are here in Canada they intend to visit us and the new born grand child and visit few attraction places.

muba

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Is this Letter of Explanation ok?

To,

The Visa Officer

IRCC/Embassy of Canada

Subject: Explanation letter addressing the concerns raised by the visa officer regarding our previous TRV application

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am xxxxx. I applied TRV for me and my wife to visit my daughter/son-in-law who resides in Toronto, Canada but the application got rejected in July-2018.

(Application# xxxxxxxxx & Application# xxxxxxxxxx)

Now we are re-applying addressing the concerns raised by the visa officer.

Purpose of Visit:
We are planning to visit Toronto and Niagara for 3 weeks during late March/early April and we will stay at our daughter/son-in laws home. Detailed Itinerary for our tour is attached herewith. My son-in-law and daughter are Permanent resident of Canada residing in North York, Toronto and we will be staying in their home. Letter of Invitation stating this and their rental/Lease agreement is attached herewith.

Personal Assets and Financial Assets:
We own many properties in India and I am getting rental income from them and further to that I also own several acres of agricultural land where we plough and cultivate for self use and to generate income from it. Property documents, rental receipts, property tax receipts are attached herewith.
Further to this, my son-in-law has confirmed that he would take care of all the expenses related to our stay, sight -seeing, medical, food, travel and air ticket back to India. Attached herewith are his employment offer letter, pay stubs and the invitation letter confirming the same.

Ties to India:
My second daughter and elderly mother in law are staying with us. So we have to return back to take care of them and also in order to collect the rent from tenants and to pay property taxes, we have to return back in 3 weeks time

Travel History:
We travelled to Saudi Arabia to perform pilgrimage when my daughter and son-in-law were there. We exactly stayed there for 2 weeks inclusive of travel dates (xx-Apr-xxxx to xx-May-xxxx). Our travel history documents are attached with the application. Now since our daughter and son-in-law are in Canada we so eager to visit the attractions and natural beauty of Canada along with them.