Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
I'll try to keep my questions to a minimum but I hope to get some responses that lead me to threads of other people who applied in the family class, were refused, and then reapplied in family class under a different sub heading.

I have reported (on the appropriate form) that I have previously been approved as sponsor and the details.

My question is this:

IMM 5481 Sponsorship Evaluation asks on page 2 about undertakings in effect or not yet in effect. Having been approved to sponsor my partner on the original application, in the reapplication I *believe* that I should report N/A as when his application was not approved there was no undertaking in place and there would not be one going into effect.

Is this correct?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
I would guess that that is correct. Your undertaking takes effect when the applicant lands.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Swede said:
I would guess that that is correct. Your undertaking takes effect when the applicant lands.
Thanks!

Oh wait, then maybe the answer is the obligation remains but is not yet in effect...but if I put that then it appears I'm responsible for two persons when it is only re-sponsoring of the same person. Ack!

I can call, which reminds me of a comment by a government official: If you call a government help line, call three time to ensure you get the same answer.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
tgchi13 said:
Thanks!

Oh wait, then maybe the answer is the obligation remains but is not yet in effect...but if I put that then it appears I'm responsible for two persons when it is only re-sponsoring of the same person. Ack!

I can call, which reminds me of a comment by a government official: If you call a government help line, call three time to ensure you get the same answer.
Calling is always an option. In any case, you could always write a comment on the form, saying that a previous application by the same person was rejected.

I always call at least twice... ;D

hbwpg

Nov 29, 2009
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-10
AOR Received.
30-11-10
File Transfer...
12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
Swede said:
Calling is always an option. In any case, you could always write a comment on the form, saying that a previous application by the same person was rejected.

I always call at least twice... ;D
I'd say that's a good idea - it curbs any confusion and/or miscommunication.

Good luck, tgchi13!

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
Next question...

Applicant form: ADDITIONAL FAMILY INFORMATION, section A

We are completing this to be ready to file immediately following our wedding and I wonder I'm supposed to be listed as Spouse, or if this is for other types of applications (parents, children, etc). I'm the sponsor so I don't think I should be listed. That said, would we then list my partner's deceased wife? The wording is "I certify that I do not have a spouse or a common-law partner, ex-spouse, or former common-law partner"

There is only one space and I will be his spouse and I don't think ex-spouse is appropriate for a widower.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tgchi13:

If you withdrew your previous application or your application was denied (I don't remember exactly what happened), then the undertaking cannot take effect. Essentially they are asking for details if you are currently sponsoring someone OR if you have a sponsorship application pending. (It'd be much clearer if they just said something along that line, instead of calling it an "undertaking". That sounds pretty ominous!) Since you are re-applying, this question doesn't apply to you. You aren't currently sponsoring anyone and you don't have a sponsorship pending. But of course you should call and clarify.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tgchi13 said:
Next question...

Applicant form: ADDITIONAL FAMILY INFORMATION, section A

We are completing this to be ready to file immediately following our wedding and I wonder I'm supposed to be listed as Spouse, or if this is for other types of applications (parents, children, etc). I'm the sponsor so I don't think I should be listed. That said, would we then list my partner's deceased wife? The wording is "I certify that I do not have a spouse or a common-law partner, ex-spouse, or former common-law partner"

There is only one space and I will be his spouse and I don't think ex-spouse is appropriate for a widower.
Yes, you should ABSOLUTELY be listed on the Additional Family Information form, not his ex-wife.

There was a thread about this the other day that may help clarify: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/general-questions-about-application-t30078.0.html;msg182456#msg182456

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08