+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-issue of PR Visa

Gopi06

Feb 24, 2020
I received my PR Visa in 2013. I went before the visa validity date but returned immediately for the reason to attend a Property Court case where my physical presence was a must. I am from India. Now the court case is over and I have won the same. Now, I want to visit canada on PR again and settle there if the Canada Immigration can re-issue the same with the current date. Please let me know whether it is possible and positive to think about it. Will the Canadian Immigration entertain my case if re-presented again?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So from your post it is not clear whether you actually landed in Canada and processed your COPR document. If you did not then you should be aware it is a use it or lose it so if you did not land whilst valid then you need to apply for PR from scratch . There is no reissue option and should you apply again you will need to be able to qualify again from scratch regardless of any previous application.

If you did complete a PR landing then You needed to be in Canada for a minimum of 2 years in the 5 years since 2013. Given you seem not to have to met this basic residency obligation should return to Canada now it is possible you would be reported leading to your PR status being revoked.

Assume also your PR card has now expired if you received one so without a valid card or a PRTD you cannot board a plane for Canada. Should you now apply for a PRTD that could also result in your PR status being revoked.

If you have a US visa the only option with an expired card would be to take a chance at the US land border that you could enter without being reported and then stay put for 2 years with no interaction with immigration, so no renewing PR card for example.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
would add that if you do happen to enter via the US border without being reported you can’t sponsor a spouse or child for 2 years. You would have to remain in Canada for 2+ years without leavong. There is a big “if” though. You are a high risk of being reported for not meeting your RO. If reported you have the right to appeal or else you will lose your PR status. You will have to prove why you could not go back and forth to India to deal with your case and meet the 2out of 5 requirement. The outcome of the appeal will either lead to you losing your PR status or keeping it.

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
would add that if you do happen to enter via the US border without being reported you can’t sponsor a spouse or child for 2 years. You would have to remain in Canada for 2+ years without leavong. There is a big “if” though. You are a high risk of being reported for not meeting your RO. If reported you have the right to appeal or else you will lose your PR status. You will have to prove why you could not go back and forth to India to deal with your case and meet the 2out of 5 requirement. The outcome of the appeal will either lead to you losing your PR status or keeping it.
Quick qs on spousal and child sponsorship: Is it mandatory to stay in CA for at-least 2 years before becoming eligible to sponsor spouse and child

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Quick qs on spousal and child sponsorship: Is it mandatory to stay in CA for at-least 2 years before becoming eligible to sponsor spouse and child
Only if you have failed the residency obligation which was the theme of this thread . If someone has failed the RO then they need to stay put for 2 years to reset the RO, but if in that 2 years they were to try to sponsor anyone before the RO we’re reset they could risk having their PR status revoked.

The main requirement for a PR is they have to be in Canada in order to sponsor anyone but not 2 years unless failed the RO.

Reactions: spirit.varun

spirit.varun

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Only if you have failed the residency obligation which was the theme of this thread . If someone has failed the RO then they need to stay put for 2 years to reset the RO, but if in that 2 years they were to try to sponsor anyone before the RO we’re reset they could risk having their PR status revoked.

The main requirement for a PR is they have to be in Canada in order to sponsor anyone but not 2 years unless failed the RO.
Thank you further clarifying this, sorry, for better understanding (not to side rail this topic), does the PA still be eligible to sponsor mentioned dependants if PA relocates at last 2.5 years of PR card validity

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you further clarifying this, sorry, for better understanding (not to side rail this topic), does the PA still be eligible to sponsor mentioned dependants if PA relocates at last 2.5 years of PR card validity
Date on PR card is not important. What is important is that they meet the 2 out of5 years from their landing date or in the past 5 years depending on their circumstances.