+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

re-entry with PR card

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Hi, I finished my landing formalities in Dec 2021. I left Canada to wrap up things in my home country and am planning to move back for good in May 2023. My PR card is valid till Feb 2027.

In my PR application my port of entry was listed as Toronto. I however plan to move to Vancouver since I have a job offer there. Can I enter Vancouver's port of entry with my PR card? I am not a provincial nominee. I got my residency through FSW-Express Entry.

Is the PR card tied to a province? Can I enter through any port of entry and work jobs in a city not listed on my COPR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I finished my landing formalities in Dec 2021. I left Canada to wrap up things in my home country and am planning to move back for good in May 2023. My PR card is valid till Feb 2027.

In my PR application my port of entry was listed as Toronto. I however plan to move to Vancouver since I have a job offer there. Can I enter Vancouver's port of entry with my PR card? I am not a provincial nominee. I got my residency through FSW-Express Entry.

Is the PR card tied to a province? Can I enter through any port of entry and work jobs in a city not listed on my COPR?
You can enter through Vancouver, no issue. You are PR.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No issues whatsoever. I was a provincial nominee and still had no issues of moving between provinces or arriving at different airports!
You had zero problems relocating to a different province? The province that you applied from expects you to live and work in that province, right?

Arriving in Canada via a different airport is one thing, but moving to a different province seems like a possible violation of the program.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1113&top=6

I am a new permanent resident in Canada. Can I live somewhere other than the “city of destination” on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence?

Yes, you can. As a permanent resident, you have the right to live, work or study anywhere in Canada.
However, if you became a permanent resident through the Provincial Nominee Program, the province that nominated you has chosen you to bring skills to their province.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No issues whatsoever. I was a provincial nominee and still had no issues of moving between provinces or arriving at different airports!
Arriving at a different airport with no proof of onward travel to the sponsoring province can have significant consequences. Still remember the example of a person having their COPR cancelled when they flew into Canada. When questioned about their plans they indicated they were moving to another province. The large majority get away with moving to another province right away or even nkt landing in their nominating province but would always recommend going to your nominating province and “attempting” to settle there and retain the records of your job search before moving to another province.

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Arriving at a different airport with no proof of onward travel to the sponsoring province can have significant consequences. Still remember the example of a person having their COPR cancelled when they flew into Canada. When questioned about their plans they indicated they were moving to another province. The large majority get away with moving to another province right away or even nkt landing in their nominating province but would always recommend going to your nominating province and “attempting” to settle there and retain the records of your job search before moving to another province.
Hi can you confirm if this rule is only for provincial nominees? As a FSW stream PR, I don't remember committing to any province. I did put down Toronto as my city of choice during application but that was years ago (2019!) and a lot of things have changed since.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi can you confirm if this rule is only for provincial nominees? As a FSW stream PR, I don't remember committing to any province. I did put down Toronto as my city of choice during application but that was years ago (2019!) and a lot of things have changed since.
Correct.