+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entry to Canada on a Visitor Record

learning22

Jan 9, 2022
I have a PGWP that will likely expire in the next couple of months while we wait for CEC draws. I am considering my options, specifically getting a Visitor Record extension for another six months. Since I won't be able to work during this time, I am considering traveling while I wait, but I am unclear on the re-entry provisions for a visitor record. Although I have a PGWP right now, I am a visa-required traveler.

The visitor record page on the IRCC website says that if you one: "If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you must meet our entry requirements to return to Canada."

This seems to imply that you can go back and forth between the USA as you please, but I would like to find confirmation of that instead of just assuming it to be true. Can anyone comment on that, preferably with some kind of source?

It also seems as though travel to other countries is fine and won't cause re-entry problems, as long as I meet the re-entry requirements. Are these any different than simply having a TRV? And if not, how should I go about getting a TRV? As far as I can read, I can't get one from inside of Canada unless I've already had one, but I originally came here on a student visa, not a TRV. And, can you have a TRV and a Visitor Record at the same time, or am I approaching this the wrong way.

Again - appreciate any help, and would be doubly happy if you can provide an official source. Thank you so much.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a PGWP that will likely expire in the next couple of months while we wait for CEC draws. I am considering my options, specifically getting a Visitor Record extension for another six months. Since I won't be able to work during this time, I am considering traveling while I wait, but I am unclear on the re-entry provisions for a visitor record. Although I have a PGWP right now, I am a visa-required traveler.

The visitor record page on the IRCC website says that if you one: "If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you must meet our entry requirements to return to Canada."

This seems to imply that you can go back and forth between the USA as you please, but I would like to find confirmation of that instead of just assuming it to be true. Can anyone comment on that, preferably with some kind of source?

It also seems as though travel to other countries is fine and won't cause re-entry problems, as long as I meet the re-entry requirements. Are these any different than simply having a TRV? And if not, how should I go about getting a TRV? As far as I can read, I can't get one from inside of Canada unless I've already had one, but I originally came here on a student visa, not a TRV. And, can you have a TRV and a Visitor Record at the same time, or am I approaching this the wrong way.

Again - appreciate any help, and would be doubly happy if you can provide an official source. Thank you so much.
A visitor record does not allow you to re-enter Canada (unless it's from the US). Primarily what a visitor record is good for is allowing you to stay in Canada longer.

If you want to leave Canada and fly to a country other than the US and then return, you need to apply for a TRV. Yes, you can do that from within Canada. However be prepared for extremely long processing times.

A TRV and a visitor record are two completely different things. Yes, you can have both at the same time.

Reactions: learning22