+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering US on valid i94

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
Hi,

I have a still-valid H1B visa that expires in 2019 and the i94 is also valid up to that date.

My employment got terminated recently which is obviously much before the original expiry date of the petition i.e. 2019. Haven't yet applied for a new H1B or transfer.

I have come to Canada because I had gotten my PR earlier.

I wish to go back to US to bring back my belongings that I stored at a friends place before leaving.

My question is that can I visit US on the current valid H1B and valid i94, or I need to apply for a B2 visa?

Please reply.

Thanks

Last edited:

kevon2310

Jul 13, 2016
When your employment is terminated, your HR will revoke the H1B visa petition. Employment termination date and visa revocation date can be different.

H1B status ends at employment termination date NOT visa revocation date. USCIS will work at its own pace.

If you want to grab your things, get them while in status(H1 or tourist visa) OR have your friend send it and then reimburse the person

Disclaimer: Take as just opinion and not fact. Talk to a lawyer

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
When your employment is terminated, your HR will revoke the H1B visa petition. Employment termination date and visa revocation date can be different.

H1B status ends at employment termination date NOT visa revocation date. USCIS will work at its own pace.

If you want to grab your things, get them while in status(H1 or tourist visa) OR have your friend send it and then reimburse the person

Disclaimer: Take as just opinion and not fact. Talk to a lawyer
Thanks for your response. I think the same way, but what makes me wonder is that why is the i94 still valid. How long after termination do you think USCIS update the i94? It's been a couple of months now.

And what if the HR never revokes it. How would I know?

Regards

Reactions: noyasystem

kevon2310

Jul 13, 2016
At some point HR will revoke it, unless maybe you came to some agreement that would enable you to stay for some time even though you wouldnt be getting paid. Like I mentioned earlier, for something like this, your best bet would be to reach out to a lawyer. As for the i94, you can always check your status online

eh3an2010

Jun 16, 2017
tanx is soo gold

Like I mentioned earlier, for something like this, your best bet would be to reach out to a lawyer. As for the i94, you can always check your status online