+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada without visitor visa

Jun 29, 2022
Hey everyone! So I’m currently on a work permit in Canada and I need to go to the US for some work. Would I be able to re enter Canada with only my work permit and no visitor visa?

I remember reading somewhere that I could but I’m not able to find it anymore. Does anyone have any experience?

Many thanks.

I am not a US citizen. I’m from a country which requires a visa to enter Canada.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
Hey everyone! So I’m currently on a work permit in Canada and I need to go to the US for some work. Would I be able to re enter Canada with only my work permit and no visitor visa?

I remember reading somewhere that I could but I’m not able to find it anymore. Does anyone have any experience?

Many thanks.

I am not a US citizen. I’m from a country which requires a visa to enter Canada.
You can but only by land

abhishek93

Star Member
May 5, 2017

Many thanks.

Yes, given your visit is only limited to the US and your work permit is valid on the date of entry of Canada.

Sources:
  1. IRCC FAQ: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=208
  2. Rule 190 (3)(f) [Division 5] of the IRPR (SOR/2002-227): https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/

Generally, people (the airline staff and even CBSA at the primary inspection) are unaware about it , so, getting print-outs of the above docs really helps.

If you plan to fly, the airline agent would need to do a manual override in their system to issue you a boarding pass, which they will only do after some long phone calls with CBSA and the airline offices. So, you may have to be there quite early and wait anxiously when the agent is on call.

When dealing with CBSA, you'll again need to let them know about this rule (print-outs again help!). Depending upon the CBSA officer there and your luck, you may be sent to Secondary for further verification.

My wife did this twice last year. During her first return, the CBSA officer acknowledged the rule without any fuss and the entry process was smooth. The second time she was sent to secondary, and a group of officers ridiculed her for "misusing" the Canadian immigration rules despite her showing them the rules. Since she was doing everything by the book, they eventually let her in.

Last edited:
Reactions: needadvice112233
Jun 29, 2022
Yes, given your visit is only limited to the US and your work permit is valid on the date of entry of Canada.

Sources:
  1. IRCC FAQ: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=208
  2. Rule 190 (3)(f) [Division 5] of the IRPR (SOR/2002-227): https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/

Generally, people (the airline staff and even CBSA at the primary inspection) are unaware about it , so, getting print-outs of the above docs really helps.

If you plan to fly, the airline agent would need to do a manual override in their system to issue you a boarding pass, which they will only do after some long phone calls with CBSA and the airline offices. So, you may have to be there quite early and wait anxiously when the agent is on call.

When dealing with CBSA, you'll again need to let them know about this rule (print-outs again help!). Depending upon the CBSA officer there and your luck, you may be sent to Secondary for further verification.

My wife did this twice last year. During her first return, the CBSA officer acknowledged the rule without any fuss and the entry process was smooth. The second time she was sent to secondary, and a group of officers ridiculed her for "misusing" the Canadian immigration rules despite her showing them the rules. Since she was doing everything by the book, they eventually let her in.

This was extremely helpful. Thank you very much.