+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada with Temporary Resident Visa while waiting for PR card to come

Yuii

Aug 9, 2018
Hi!

I am waiting for my PR card to arrived to my home(Landing was done a month ago), while I have already booked my flight ticket to US in about a month. My question is, given my PGWP and my temporary resident visa(multiple entry) will expire next year(10 months from now), can I re-enter Canada while waiting for my PR card?

Very appreciate!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!

I am waiting for my PR card to arrived to my home(Landing was done a month ago), while I have already booked my flight ticket to US in about a month. My question is, given my PGWP and my temporary resident visa(multiple entry) will expire next year(10 months from now), can I re-enter Canada while waiting for my PR card?

Very appreciate!
Generally speaking, TRVs are canceled once you have landed and become a PR. It's possible you may be able to board the flight back to Canada - also possible you may be refused boarding without a valid PR card. If you don't have a PR card by then, your options are to apply for a PR Travel Document once you are outside of Canada or to re-enter Canada through a land border using your COPR.

Don't assume you'll be able to board the flight using your TRV. Might be possible - but also a very high chance it will be canceled in the system by then.

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hi!

Very appreciate!
Once you activate your PR status, every other Canada TRV is automatically cancelled. it's not valid anymore. Normally, embassy or IRCC would cancel out the visa by stamping "Canceled" or just cross it with a pen.
To go back to Canada you'll either need a PRTD if you're going through a commercial carrier. You can cross the border by foot with just your CoPR.

bhanuprakashn

Star Member
Sep 28, 2017
Hi!

Very appreciate!
CBSA officer or your PR interviewer would have told you that you cannot cross the border by flight, with your COPR. You are allowed to enter Canada only by Land. If you have got your COPR, you are not eligible to hold any TRVs.