+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada on a TRV and eCOPR

shankarator

Jan 11, 2023
I am currently in Toronto, Canada. I have been in the country on a work permit. I got my eCOPR on Jan 11th 2023. I don't have my PR card but looks like its going to take atleast a couple of months from eCOPR date. My TRV was renewed recently and I received my stamped passport also on Jan 11th (I did not plan this). I have travel plans to fly out of the country on Jan 30th and return on 20th Feb, which I made with the full knowledge that I would have the TRV to support my travel. I wasn't even expecting my PR to be approved and confirmed but it happened and it sounds like it can cause issues. I cannot postpone or cancel the international trip. What are my options to re-enter Canada?
1. Can I re-enter using my recently stamped TRV? Is it going to be valid or are TRVs cancelled as soon as PR is confirmed ( is there a buffer period where I can squeeze in re-entry) . I am hoping the validity of my visa will allow me to enter Canada.
2. Should I apply for Permanent Resident Travel Document - PRTD?
3. Should I be considering an entry via US Land border? - I want to only exercise this If I don't have any other option available

Thanks,

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently in Toronto, Canada. I have been in the country on a work permit. I got my eCOPR on Jan 11th 2023. I don't have my PR card but looks like its going to take atleast a couple of months from eCOPR date. My TRV was renewed recently and I received my stamped passport also on Jan 11th (I did not plan this). I have travel plans to fly out of the country on Jan 30th and return on 20th Feb, which I made with the full knowledge that I would have the TRV to support my travel. I wasn't even expecting my PR to be approved and confirmed but it happened and it sounds like it can cause issues. I cannot postpone or cancel the international trip. What are my options to re-enter Canada?
1. Can I re-enter using my recently stamped TRV? Is it going to be valid or are TRVs cancelled as soon as PR is confirmed ( is there a buffer period where I can squeeze in re-entry) . I am hoping the validity of my visa will allow me to enter Canada.
3. Should I be considering an entry via US Land border? - I want to only exercise this If I don't have any other option available

Thanks,
1. You should assume you will not be able to re-enter on the TRV.
2. Yes, this is one option.
3. Yes, this is the other option.

sk1622

Star Member
Jan 13, 2021
Hi Members,

Can I apply forPRTD if E-COPR is received when I am outside canada? Any expert advise will be greatly appreciated. I have an urgent travel to make in next few days and I am extremely tensed given the situation I currently am .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Members,

Can I apply forPRTD if E-COPR is received when I am outside canada? Any expert advise will be greatly appreciated. I have an urgent travel to make in next few days and I am extremely tensed given the situation I currently am .
Yes, you can.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank You for Your response!
Sorry wait - want to clarify - you are in Canada now, on what status, what program, what current visa status? (I may have misread your message so just want to check)

Your trip abroad - is it short or long? Are you already outside Canada?

sk1622

Star Member
Jan 13, 2021
Sorry wait - want to clarify - you are in Canada now, on what status, what program, what current visa status? (I may have misread your message so just want to check)

Your trip abroad - is it short or long? Are you already outside Canada?
Currently in Canada on Visitor Visa Status, Sponsorship application(Inland) is approved but waiting for E-COPR. Have to travel outside Canada for 3 weeks tomorrow.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Currently in Canada on Visitor Visa Status, Sponsorship application(Inland) is approved but waiting for E-COPR. Have to travel outside Canada for 3 weeks tomorrow.
Okay, thanks. That's more or less what I thought.

So there are two scenarios:
-you get the ecopr at some point, and you MIGHT be able to travel back on your existing visa. My understanding is that they cancel in the system any existing visas sometime after the ecopr is issued - like maybe four weeks later. (only a guess).

The important thing is that this is to BOARD THE PLANE. Once in Canada at passport control, you show them both, and they'll let you in. You're already a PR.

The PRTD is to board the plane, IF you're not let on or can confirm with them your visitor visa will no longer be recognized.

[Background: my fear about answering this straightforwardly is dual - one, people who applied inland and then left and near the date when ecopr comes can run into issues because under inland they weren't really supposed to leave. (Your three week trip almost certainly not an issue). Two, people who stay abroad long enough that the visitor or other visa they had gets cancelled. No public information available but they do eventually get around to cancelling them.

And my third fear: prtds can take a long time and there is a ris, even if small, of getting stranded. Much easier for those who can fly to the usa and cross a land border if they have to.]

faisalshaikh

Aug 25, 2019
I'm in a similar scenario as well. I and my wife plan to travel to Mexico on February 12th for a week. Our inland spousal application is currently in process and the last step is currently pending which is receiving the portal invite.

Should I try to delay the process of replying to the portal invite and uploading the picutre?

She is currently on her Work Permit and also possesses TRV. Any help would be highly appreciated! Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm in a similar scenario as well. I and my wife plan to travel to Mexico on February 12th for a week. Our inland spousal application is currently in process and the last step is currently pending which is receiving the portal invite.

Should I try to delay the process of replying to the portal invite and uploading the picutre?

She is currently on her Work Permit and also possesses TRV. Any help would be highly appreciated! Thank you
I think once you get the portal invite you have at least a week to respond, so if it comes while you're abroad, no big deal.

If it comes before then - see above.

noahahma

May 19, 2023
Hi, did you manage to come back to Canada after getting eCOPR while you were overseas? I have to leave Canada in two weeks and I haven't had my eCOPR yet...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, did you manage to come back to Canada after getting eCOPR while you were overseas? I have to leave Canada in two weeks and I haven't had my eCOPR yet...
What happened to your other post in a different thread? I replied to that and now...it's gone!

IFS

Jul 27, 2021
Hello,

I am on visitor visa in Canada and expecting my eCOPR to be issued within the next 2 weeks.
I plan to go to Carribean for 3 days during the next 2 weeks.
If I receive an eCOPR during those 3 days, can I use the Visitor Visa or eTA to enter Canada?
It is just a matter of 03 days.

karankr1991

Dec 27, 2023

Thanks,
Hello,

I am on visitor visa in Canada and expecting my eCOPR to be issued within the next 2 weeks.
I plan to go to Carribean for 3 days during the next 2 weeks.
If I receive an eCOPR during those 3 days, can I use the Visitor Visa or eTA to enter Canada?
It is just a matter of 03 days.
My wife just got portal 2 invite today on 27 dec 2023 shes in canada on TRV status and its valid and we already have a plan to travel to cuba for 7 days in less than a week my concern is can she return to canada on visitor visa still waiting for pr card and ecopr.