+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-entering Canada from US on expired TRV having a valid study permit

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hello all,

I recently graduated and have applied for my post grad work permit. I have to go to US for job training this month and then come back in November to start my job. My study permit expires in December 2013 and I have an expired TRV. I have heard that according to an "exception" (bunny ears), I can re-enter Canada on an expired TRV as long as I have a valid study permit. My concern is:

When I applied for my Post Graduate Work Permit, didn't my study permit got nullified. Being the case that I can not hold both the study permit and the Post Grad Work permit at the same time. Would I be still eligible to re-enter Canada under this exception that is related to study permit ?

Also I know it is illegal for someone to send the hard copy of my Post Grad Work permit to me from Canada to US, but can I apply for Canada Visa based on a scanned copy of my Work Permit?

Please help because I have 3 days to decide. I can lose my job (T_T)

skinnybob

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
As long as you have a valid study permit, you will be allowed to enter back into Canada

You can google the info, it is avail on CIC website. it wont let me post links for some reason

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Thank you for your reply. Yes I found the information. My concern is the word "valid". Yes my study permit is currently "valid" until December 30th. But the thing is I will get my post graduate work permit by October. Now I can not be a student and a worker at the same time, so intuitively, my study permit will be nullified the day my Post Graduate Work permit gets approved since I can not have both valid study and work permits at the same time. In that case that rule could not be applied to me and I wont be able to return. I really do not know if my study permit will become non-valid when i receive my post graduate work permit. Any ideas ?? (T_T)

skinnybob

Star Member
Aug 13, 2013
Im not sure about the part - 'Illegal to mail PGWP from Canada to USA". I know that Passport may be illegal to mail. However I don't think there is any issue at all in mailing a PGWP. Maybe some one else can confirm that. You are correct, if a PGWP is issued, CBP will be able to see that when you enter into Canada, and question you why you are not in possession of it.

subtain

Aug 12, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hello Everyone,

I talked to the cic call center, and they told me that I am perfectly fine re-entering Canada following a visit solely from united states. Also, none of the previously issued permits get invalidated if we receive any other permits. So everything is fine and good to go :)