+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter Canada with closed Work Permit after lost the job

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
Hi to everyone!

I am a foreign worker with a closed WP under PNP. The first time I entered Canada in Nov 2020 and then left the country for family reasons related to covid in Dec 2020. Unfortunately, my employer resigned me. Province gave me some time to find a new job to maintain my nomination.
Can I travel now with my valid work visa in passport and existing WP? Do the airport staff will ask for any additional docs to allow me to enter the airplane to Canada?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi to everyone!

I am a foreign worker with a closed WP under PNP. The first time I entered Canada in Nov 2020 and then left the country for family reasons related to covid in Dec 2020. Unfortunately, my employer resigned me. Province gave me some time to find a new job to maintain my nomination.
Can I travel now with my valid work visa in passport and existing WP? Do the airport staff will ask for any additional docs to allow me to enter the airplane to Canada?

Thanks.
You should be asked to prove that you have a valid job offer or proof that you are currently employed in Canada.

hello2020

Star Member
Oct 8, 2019
You should be asked to prove that you have a valid job offer or proof that you are currently employed in Canada.
Thank you for the answer, but current conditions says different.
Non-discretionary refers to travel for reasons that are non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment.
As a worker, your travel is non-discretionary if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada.
    • This applies even if you’ve been laid off.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the answer, but current conditions says different.
Non-discretionary refers to travel for reasons that are non-optional. The emergency orders under the Quarantine Act do not allow people to travel to Canada for optional or discretionary reasons, such as for tourism, recreation or entertainment.
As a worker, your travel is non-discretionary if you’re in either of these situations:

• You have a valid work permit and normally live in Canada.
    • This applies even if you’ve been laid off.
So can you prove you that you ”normally live in Canada.” This means showing that you are paying rent on an apartment, car lease/loan, Canadian credit cards etc. If you were only in Canada a month, you can’t say that you live in Canada.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021
So can you prove you that you ”normally live in Canada.” This means showing that you are paying rent on an apartment, car lease/loan, Canadian credit cards etc. If you were only in Canada a month, you can’t say that you live in Canada.
I am in the same boat but thinking is this legal to re-enter Canada on an employer-specific work permit while being resigned from a job?
I am planning to say the truth if asked, but if they wouldn't and I will just simply enter.. whether this may affect my further new work permit application... ? they might say that it was misrepresentation (that I didn't say anything on the border), cancel my application and will give 5 years inadmissibility.

sameerali393

Aug 5, 2018
If your Open work permit is still valid and you have your open work permit original paper with you, you can enter Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If your Open work permit is still valid and you have your open work permit original paper with you, you can enter Canada.
Have you done this recently and tell your experiences. Due to Covid, An open permit doesn’t give you entrance to Canada. You need a job offer or proof you live ”normally live in Canada.” So you need to show rental agreements, utilities etc.