+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter Canada: No PR Card

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Leon, and other experts; and friends;

I have landed in Calgary end of October 2012, and I am waiting for my PR cards now.

One question I have is: I need to travel to Canada (Toronto) in the 3rd week of January, and I understand that I can enter Canada by rental car by showing the passport and landing document (if there is an issue with my PR card photos). I am thinking of renting a car one-way (from the USA to Canada).

I am thinking of flying back to the USA. Please let me know will there be any issues while flying back to the USA without PR card? I have a valid US visa to enter the US.

I am assuming it should be fine; however, I just wanted to get your suggestions and any experiences. Thank you. Please advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BTW, which rental car company allows one-way (from US to Canada)? I only know that it will be fine if you travel on non-commercial vehicle (such as bicycle, own car, foot, etc.)

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Steaky, I have found several major car rental companies (enterprise, hertz, etc.) on priceline.com that allow me to do one-way.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Steaky,

One question I have is that: If I enter by my own car, do I need to inform upfront any details to anyone (to CBSA, etc.) regarding the car? My car is under finance with Honda, does it make any difference? Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a PR entering in your own US registered car, the immigration officers may tell you that you must import the car which you probably will not be allowed to do unless you show that the car is debt free or that the financer allows you to import the car. To avoid possible problems with that, take a rental car.

There is no problem flying out of Canada without a PR card. It is even possible to fly in without a PR card if you are visa exempt to Canada. You would just show your passport to the airline and not mention that you are a PR and once you arrive in Canada and go through immigration, you tell them you are a PR and show them your landing papers.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Leon said:
As a PR entering in your own US registered car, the immigration officers may tell you that you must import the car which you probably will not be allowed to do unless you show that the car is debt free or that the financer allows you to import the car. To avoid possible problems with that, take a rental car.

There is no problem flying out of Canada without a PR card. It is even possible to fly in without a PR card if you are visa exempt to Canada. You would just show your passport to the airline and not mention that you are a PR and once you arrive in Canada and go through immigration, you tell them you are a PR and show them your landing papers.
Hi Leon, Thank you very much for your advice. I am an Indian Citizen residing in the USA, and need a visa to enter Canada. So, I understood that there will not be any issues with entering Canada by a rental car (by showing landing document, and passport). I am hoping that the immigration officers do not count rental car as a commercial vehicle.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadapr98 said:
Hi Leon, Thank you very much for your advice. I am an Indian Citizen residing in the USA, and need a visa to enter Canada. So, I understood that there will not be any issues with entering Canada by a rental car (by showing landing document, and passport). I am hoping that the immigration officers do not count rental car as a commercial vehicle.
They don't but it doesn't matter. The only problem trying to get on a commercial carrier without a PR card or a visa is not from immigration but from the commercial carrier. Any company that would be able to sell you a ticket to Canada whether it is a train company, bus company or an airline would be responsible for all of their passengers having a proper visa. Therefore they would ask you if you have a visa, PR card or a travel document and if you don't, they refuse to let you board. With a rental car, *you* are responsible. The rental car company do not care if you try to enter Canada without a visa because if you are turned away at the border, you just drive the rental car back and return the car in the US instead.

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Thank you again, Leon. That makes a lot sense, and helps me a lot. I can fly to Buffalo and rent a car in Buffalo to drive to Toronto, instead of driving 12 hours in my own vehicle to Toronto. Thanks again. You are very helpful, as always.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's right. You should not have a problem flying inside the US (Buffalo) and then renting a car and driving across the border to Canada.

Kofidei

Jan 2, 2013
canadapr98 said:
Leon, and other experts; and friends;

I have landed in Calgary end of October 2012, and I am waiting for my PR cards now.

One question I have is: I need to travel to Canada (Toronto) in the 3rd week of January, and I understand that I can enter Canada by rental car by showing the passport and landing document (if there is an issue with my PR card photos). I am thinking of renting a car one-way (from the USA to Canada).

I am thinking of flying back to the USA. Please let me know will there be any issues while flying back to the USA without PR card? I have a valid US visa to enter the US.

I am assuming it should be fine; however, I just wanted to get your suggestions and any experiences. Thank you. Please advise.

pach

Apr 3, 2013
Hi,

I am exactly in your situation. I have not received my PR Card yet. Can I travel from US to Canada on Rental Car?

Can you please share your experience?

Many Thanks

realtexdex

Star Member
Mar 7, 2012
On this topic, anymore experiences with rental cars? I landed in June 2012, but returned without PR card. I am planning to renter soon either at Detroit or the Niagara using a rental car and COPR. I too am not from a visa exempt country. Do you foresee issues at the border; also in the worst case that they refuse entry, can you just turn back and return to the US? I am also going o schedule us visa stamping in Canada!
Thx

blessings

Sep 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-10-2009
Doc's Request.
27-03-2010
File Transfer...
27-01-2011
Med's Request
Updated Doc. plus Children pic sent on March 2012
Med's Done....
Waiting
Interview........
18-Sep-2013
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
is anyone has experience of entry Canada from usa without pr card by showing only corp , please share