+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter Canada from US with work permit

JAZ21

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter lives in Canada and she had a temporary resident visa overdue from 2016. She hold a valid work permit until november 2018. She plans to go to US on december 2017, returning in january 2018. Does she need a valid temporary resident visa to re-enter to Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

My daughter lives in Canada and she had a temporary resident visa overdue from 2016. She hold a valid work permit until november 2018. She plans to go to US on december 2017, returning in january 2018. Does she need a valid temporary resident visa to re-enter to Canada?
1. No, as long as she only visits the US and returns within the validity of her work permit.

Reactions: JAZ21

JAZ21

Oct 27, 2017
Hi

1. No, as long as she only visits the US and returns within the validity of her work permit.
Thanks you. I heard that some airlines ask on this cases for an electronic travel autorizacion eTA, even it doesn´t apply.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
This is where I find this rule confusing that yes a work permit holder can visit the US and return directly from the US with just a valid work permit (and a US visa of course) but how does that now work when an ETA or a valid TRV is required to board a plane to Canada.

There is now a mention that from 5/2017 for select TRV required countries when a work permit is renewed they will also get an ETA linked to passport but that probably does not help in the OPs case. So an open question how they would board a plane as the guidelines are not that specific about that unless airlines have specific instructions to allow boarding based on a work permit only which is not a travel document.

Have I missed something ? Can someone from a TRV required country now apply for an ETA without having a valid TRV just a valid work permit but not through the permit renewal route ?

See you want to travel outside Canada and RE-enter section

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/extend-stay.asp#worker_travel