+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-enter after studies before PGWP application

amliang06

Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,

I will be finishing my final practicum on april 17 and our conferral date(official documents release) is may 27, graduation date is june 11. Board exam will be june 30.

My passport will expire on sept 2020 and all of my permits will expire on march 2020 and i’m planning to go to my home country this april 26 to renew my passport as it only takes 7 days for the renewal vs almost 3 mos here in calgary, and planning to apply for pgwp once i come back on may 25th. I wanted to renew my passport before applying for pgwp. My question is am allowed to leave and re-enter canada with this situation? I havent booked anything yet as im weighing all of my options

Addition to this: Is there a possibility that the officer will question your re-entry? If so please give me possible questions so that I can prepare.

Thank you in advance!

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi all,

I will be finishing my final practicum on april 17 and our conferral date(official documents release) is may 27, graduation date is june 11. Board exam will be june 30.

My passport will expire on sept 2020 and all of my permits will expire on march 2020 and i’m planning to go to my home country this april 26 to renew my passport as it only takes 7 days for the renewal vs almost 3 mos here in calgary, and planning to apply for pgwp once i come back on may 25th. I wanted to renew my passport before applying for pgwp. My question is am allowed to leave and re-enter canada with this situation? I havent booked anything yet as im weighing all of my options

Addition to this: Is there a possibility that the officer will question your re-entry? If so please give me possible questions so that I can prepare.

Thank you in advance!
if you are graduating this year why is your study permit valid till march 2020 ? If any of your permits are valid when you return then there is no problem. Otherwise you might have to apply for a PGWP from outside Canada.

amliang06

Apr 1, 2019
if you are graduating this year why is your study permit valid till march 2020 ? If any of your permits are valid when you return then there is no problem. Otherwise you might have to apply for a PGWP from outside Canada.
I finished my program earlier because i went for the fast track pathway in our college it was supposed to be 2 yrs but i only did for 1 yr and 3mos.
What are the possible questions an officer might ask?
Thank you for your response!

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I finished my program earlier because i went for the fast track pathway in our college it was supposed to be 2 yrs but i only did for 1 yr and 3mos.
What are the possible questions an officer might ask?
Thank you for your response!
According to this article, your study permit is valid for 90 days after your course completion. See the link here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/final-decisions.html#validity

If you are able to make the trip, renew your passport and return before the 90 days then you will not have any issues.

If that's not the case then you will have to apply for PGWP outside Canada and you can only return once you get the approval.

amliang06

Apr 1, 2019
According to this article, your study permit is valid for 90 days after your course completion. See the link here.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/final-decisions.html#validity

If you are able to make the trip, renew your passport and return before the 90 days then you will not have any issues.

If that's not the case then you will have to apply for PGWP outside Canada and you can only return once you get the approval.
I will be gone for only 27 days, i just finished talking to the immigration advisor in our school, she said im good to go, just need to bring supporting documents such as graduation notice, and board exam application etc. So i’m still within the 90 days right?

Thank you for your kind response! Its really helpful and you put my mind at ease coz i was really anxious about this.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
I will be gone for only 27 days, i just finished talking to the immigration advisor in our school, she said im good to go, just need to bring supporting documents such as graduation notice, and board exam application etc. So i’m still within the 90 days right?

Thank you for your kind response! Its really helpful and you put my mind at ease coz i was really anxious about this.
I am guessing your advisor knows when you're course is considered competed according titthe IRCC, so you should go with their advice. Even if the completion of your practicum is taken as the course completion, you are well within the 90 days time period given. Just have the documents ready to show what you did and what you are going to do( graduation and tests ).

citzjan2020

Jan 25, 2020
@canuck_in_uk
Hi, Would it be possible to clarify this query?
It's for my friend's younger brother.
About extending PGWP , IRCC says the following -
"If you need to extend or change the conditions on your PGWP
You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions on your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired earlier than your PGWP validity should have been.

This would be indicated in a remark on your initial PGWP.

You may need to change the conditions on your PGWP if you need to provide an additional document, like a medical exam, after you already applied."

My question is - What if his PGWP is not showing that 'initial remark' that passport expired before total PGWP validity period? Should he still go ahead and submit a paper based application for PGWP extension with new passport copy? Are there any threads on this forum where people have had successes or refusals towards their extension where I could learn more about this?
Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk
Hi, Would it be possible to clarify this query?
It's for my friend's younger brother.
About extending PGWP , IRCC says the following -
"If you need to extend or change the conditions on your PGWP
You must apply on paper if you’re extending or changing the conditions on your PGWP. You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired earlier than your PGWP validity should have been.

This would be indicated in a remark on your initial PGWP.

You may need to change the conditions on your PGWP if you need to provide an additional document, like a medical exam, after you already applied."

My question is - What if his PGWP is not showing that 'initial remark' that passport expired before total PGWP validity period? Should he still go ahead and submit a paper based application for PGWP extension with new passport copy? Are there any threads on this forum where people have had successes or refusals towards their extension where I could learn more about this?
Thank you.
No remarks suggest his PGWP wasn't limited. If he is sure it was, he can try applying.