+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re-applying for a study permit. I would really appreciate any advice

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018
Hi All,

I am wondering if anyone could help me out in terms of advice.

I originally came to Canada 5 years ago for studying(my visa got approved).
My first year of study i was going well. During my second/third year, i was going through a very difficult time due to family reasons and i had depression on top of that. (i have an assessment from the school psychologist proving my mental state at the time, if that is relevant), so my grades suffered Horribly. In addition to that, due to the same family reasons, my school funds became unavailable.(right now, i am financially cancelled at my old uni)

At the time, i had been living with my partner for over one year and they suggested we apply for PR under common law. That is what we did, however 1 month after celebrating our 3rd year anniversary, we went our separate ways. (yeah, these are very awful years for me )
Prior to the break up however, i was granted a temporary open work permit, which was still valid even after the break up.(i confirmed this).

Currently i am on that 2 year work permit.
I took advantage of this time to focus on myself, and i worked hard to save enough money for a one year certificate in a program i was genuinely interested in instead of continuing at my uni.

I have received my acceptance letter from my college for a one year tech network support program.

While i have almost everything ready to re-apply for a study permit, i am terrified that my poor performance at my old uni will get in the way of this study permit.

I know this explanation is a bit long , and i would really appreciate any advice as i am in a much better place right now (through experience+good work, i got promoted to a NOCB position at my job, i worked on my depression, got a second job to save 1year tuition+10k , completed online courses at Udemy and did small side projects) and i have worked so hard, i really do not want my depression/ problems from 2years ago to affect my hard work now.

- i have an unconditional offer letter
- i have enough funds for the full 1 year program + living expenses($16k + $10k)
-i have no family here, only an aunt
- My english proficiency level is C1
-My high school diploma grade average is %95.07.

Questions are:
- Can i apply with my high school grades, since i have not received any diploma/degree in Canada?
- Are the last 1.5y of terrible grades in Canada going to affect the decision?
-What proofs should i submit to support/strengthen my application ?

Thank you so much for reading through my life story and i really appreciate any help that you can provide.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Since your high school grades are the last grades you have, you should definitely apply with them but I think you should provide your grades from your university as well no matter how bad they are. Any attempt to hide will not help your application. Obviously, write a SoP explaining your situation and definitely include the note from your school medical examiner.

Things you have going for you:
  • Good high school grades
  • Medical note
  • Hopefully good grades in your first year
Things that are going to work against you
  • Poor grades in 2nd and 3rd years
  • Historically of being financially unable to pay (avoid mentioning this if you can)
  • You have shown past behavior of working in Canada, creating doubt about your future purposes about leaving Canada.
Things that could strengthen you application:
  • Can you get into a reputable university?
  • Can you do a diploma instead of a certificate? (higher level the study program, higher the chances)
  • More money in your bank
  • Explanation of your relationship, legal proof
  • A chance at explaining your situation with your SoP. I cannot understate how important your SoP will be for your application. I hope your communication skills are good because ultimately you will need to convince the VO emotionally or logically to give you another chance.
Best of luck.

AnnabelleLee

Mar 21, 2018
Since your high school grades are the last grades you have, you should definitely apply with them but I think you should provide your grades from your university as well no matter how bad they are. Any attempt to hide will not help your application. Obviously, write a SoP explaining your situation and definitely include the note from your school medical examiner.

Things you have going for you:
  • Good high school grades
  • Medical note
  • Hopefully good grades in your first year
Things that are going to work against you
  • Poor grades in 2nd and 3rd years
  • Historically of being financially unable to pay (avoid mentioning this if you can)
  • You have shown past behavior of working in Canada, creating doubt about your future purposes about leaving Canada.
Things that could strengthen you application:
  • Can you get into a reputable university?
  • Can you do a diploma instead of a certificate? (higher level the study program, higher the chances)
  • More money in your bank
  • Explanation of your relationship, legal proof
  • A chance at explaining your situation with your SoP. I cannot understate how important your SoP will be for your application. I hope your communication skills are good because ultimately you will need to convince the VO emotionally or logically to give you another chance.
Best of luck.
Thank you so much for your help!

These specific examples are helping me a lot! Writing the SOP at the moment.

In terms of "You have shown past behavior of working in Canada, creating doubt about your future purposes about leaving Canada."

- Could i book a one way ticket from Canada to Home around the date i graduate one year from now and show it as proofs i intend to leave Canada?
Would that strengthen my application?

- How many words/pages do you suggest for the SOP?

I am sorry for asking more questions, i want to be prepared.

Thank you so much!

NiallHoran

Jan 26, 2021
Thank you so much for your help!

These specific examples are helping me a lot! Writing the SOP at the moment.

In terms of "You have shown past behavior of working in Canada, creating doubt about your future purposes about leaving Canada."

- Could i book a one way ticket from Canada to Home around the date i graduate one year from now and show it as proofs i intend to leave Canada?
Would that strengthen my application?

- How many words/pages do you suggest for the SOP?

I am sorry for asking more questions, i want to be prepared.

Thank you so much!
in addition, you may state and provide proof of your personal properties/investments/assets in your home country. I did much get if you have any immediate family member in your home country, but it might be your home tie as well.

For your medical condition in the past years, you may submit any proof like medication or doctor's consultation just to give the Visa Officer assurance of your past challenges, (no offense, as this might be claimed by anyone).

You may consider writing your SOP in a concise manner like 2-3 pages will be good, in my opinion. but you may exceed if you need to and you really want to expound your situation.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
in addition, you may state and provide proof of your personal properties/investments/assets in your home country. I did much get if you have any immediate family member in your home country, but it might be your home tie as well.

For your medical condition in the past years, you may submit any proof like medication or doctor's consultation just to give the Visa Officer assurance of your past challenges, (no offense, as this might be claimed by anyone).

You may consider writing your SOP in a concise manner like 2-3 pages will be good, in my opinion. but you may exceed if you need to and you really want to expound your situation.
Do not write a 2-3 page SOP that is not concise. Keep it to one page, if possible. Officers don’t want to read an essay.

jagmeetsinghji1

Feb 4, 2020
Make different headings so the vo don't have to look for what he wants to reads.. secondly explain ur future goals and why u now return to home country..i think this is going to be challenging part for u..try to have a conditional job offer letter from India from ur home city or province at least .the offer must offer you good designation plus good salary package ..it must be on a genuine letter head with genuine authority's signature..and yeah u can use other things highlighted by others above.sop length not matter much but whatever u write must be relevant.hope for the best ..and hopefully life will be better for you..best of luck.god bless you