+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RCMP Criminal Record Checks for assault or peace bond

Sujia

Jul 11, 2023
Has anyone been charged with domestic assault (simple assault, 266 of the penal code), the charge has been dropped/withdraw and an 810 peace bond has been issued. In this case, even peace bonds are active. Has anyone applied for a RCMP a criminal records check recently? Do Charges or Peace Bonds Show Up on RCMP Criminal Record Checks?

ldn123

Nov 3, 2013
Has anyone been charged with domestic assault (simple assault, 266 of the penal code), the charge has been dropped/withdraw and an 810 peace bond has been issued. In this case, even peace bonds are active. Has anyone applied for a RCMP a criminal records check recently? Do Charges or Peace Bonds Show Up on RCMP Criminal Record Checks?

There are 3 kinds of police record checks:

• a criminal record check
  • a criminal record and judicial matters check
  • a vulnerable sector record check
Peace bond will show up on the 2nd and 3rd check (mostly used for Emplyment and volunteering).

But It won’t impact your citizenship since IRCC doesn’t consider PB as a charge. If you are looking to apply for citizenship, it might be better to let the PB expire (after 1year) AND request your fingerprint/mugshots to be destroyed thereafter (6-12m) before you apply (so total upto 2yrs later). If you decide not to wait, then best to disclose the PB from beginning of your application.

If you have already applied for citizenship then you will need to disclose the PB to ircc via the web form. I did the same and didn’t even hear back from them. (They’re so busy). It’ll likely just prolong your application but won’t be rejected. They’ll likely want more info etc.

On a separate but very important point, try not to apply for another job since a red mark will show up on your background check (level 2).

finally, DO NOT travel to USA until Peace Bond has expired and fingerprint destroyed.
USA views PB as a charge (and more so for marriage/domestic abuse; its on their ‘moral turpitude list) if they see it on their system, they can turn you away which can lead to a whole another level of issues (requiring visa, being banned from US etc.).

hope this helps.

Reactions: bst35

Bob49

Sep 11, 2023
There are 3 kinds of police record checks:

• a criminal record check
  • a criminal record and judicial matters check
  • a vulnerable sector record check
Peace bond will show up on the 2nd and 3rd check (mostly used for Emplyment and volunteering).

But It won’t impact your citizenship since IRCC doesn’t consider PB as a charge. If you are looking to apply for citizenship, it might be better to let the PB expire (after 1year) AND request your fingerprint/mugshots to be destroyed thereafter (6-12m) before you apply (so total upto 2yrs later). If you decide not to wait, then best to disclose the PB from beginning of your application.

If you have already applied for citizenship then you will need to disclose the PB to ircc via the web form. I did the same and didn’t even hear back from them. (They’re so busy). It’ll likely just prolong your application but won’t be rejected. They’ll likely want more info etc.

On a separate but very important point, try not to apply for another job since a red mark will show up on your background check (level 2).

finally, DO NOT travel to USA until Peace Bond has expired and fingerprint destroyed.
USA views PB as a charge (and more so for marriage/domestic abuse; its on their ‘moral turpitude list) if they see it on their system, they can turn you away which can lead to a whole another level of issues (requiring visa, being banned from US etc.).

hope this helps.
Hi

I have similar Scenario.
May 2021: Charged with domestic assault in May 2021.
July 2021: Peace bond Issued in July 2021 for 1 year.
July 2021: I received Court Documents with charges withdrawn as of July 2021
July 2022: Peace Bond expired.
Aug 2023: Applied for citizenship application
I am not sure how could I have disclose this in the application.

The Question is:
Are you now charged with, on trial, or subject to a party to an appeal relating to:

An offence under citizenship act or an indictable offence in Canada

It says "current" charge. It doesn't ask "Have you ever been charged with" like in case of Visa or PR applications.

So I am not sure if we answer "NO" there. Again. I dont want to misrepresent. Just wanted to make sense of the answers.

ldn123

Nov 3, 2013
You will be ok.
You have no live charges today so the answer will be ‘no’.

Start process to get your fingerprints destroyed now.

Bob49

Sep 11, 2023
You will be ok.
You have no live charges today so the answer will be ‘no’.

Start process to get your fingerprints destroyed now.
Thanks so much. Yes have started that process. However also sent my citizenship application.