Virginia Beach
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-11-2016
IELTS Request
06-25-2016
I agree with that, and I am a dev. A nicely developed application (which should be as this is crucial) and with good architecture and design patterns, shouldn't take long to update such a thing. Personally, I would have wrote just one line of code to get this thing done. No hotchpotch logic or anything like that. Once done, I would have executed just one service to update all the records. Considering there are just 50K active candidates approximately in the CIC database, the service (on my local VM not even on a server) will take less than an hour to execute. Add a day to test (I am being generous) and analyze everything.
Exactly, its a minor script change and provided it is tested properly, can be rolled out in a go. I seriously doubt the quality and efficiency of their IT team now ( don't want to sound rude)

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
I agree with that, and I am a dev. A nicely developed application (which should be as this is crucial) and with good architecture and design patterns, shouldn't take long to update such a thing. Personally, I would have wrote just one line of code to get this thing done. No hotchpotch logic or anything like that. Once done, I would have executed just one service to update all the records. Considering there are just 50K active candidates approximately in the CIC database, the service (on my local VM not even on a server) will take less than an hour to execute. Add a day to test (I am being generous) and analyze everything.
see Canada need ppl like you there....and quickly too..:)

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
I'm not a Software Engineer or anything, but I don't understand how the word maintenance is taken literally, like reconstruction of a damaged house, or re-building a collapsed house in a missile hit town. Software bugs are not synonymous to a earthquake hit town. It is strange, what has taken them so long for the website updates. This isn't supposed to take that long, as it is just a matter of a change in algorithm and maybe some hundred lines of server side script. There will be a draw tomorrow.
I am with you brother! I am a software dev (front and back-end) but I could not really comprehend what kind of maintenance CIC did. If a system is well-designed and well-structured, as it should be for a government website, any updates should be quickly done. Although there will be hiccups but should be resolved immediately, I believe so if the program has been properly tested. The update of scores can be done by just one script. The logic is very simple, as I see it. 50k active profiles is not too many.

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
I am a software engineer (at least I would like to think so :) ) a system maintenance in this scenario could mean they would have to update their logic to re-calculate scores. Yes this is comparatively a small change. Once they finalize their logic and complete development of their software code, they would update current profiles (in batches based on current CRS score or date time of profile creation etc..) validate their changes and post it. They could do it in one go but I believe they do in batches as we see a few people saying their scores are updated and others do not have theirs. Doing it in batches would also give them flexibility of identifying any bug at an earlier stage so they can fix it.

They could also be doing some system cleanup, upgrade or what not when they say maintenance.

Any other thoughts?
And all the developers raised their hands! Let's all go to Canada! Our ITA is coming tomorrow :)

X

xibalban

I am a software engineer (at least I would like to think so :) ) a system maintenance in this scenario could mean they would have to update their logic to re-calculate scores. Yes this is comparatively a small change. Once they finalize their logic and complete development of their software code, they would update current profiles (in batches based on current CRS score or date time of profile creation etc..) validate their changes and post it. They could do it in one go but I believe they do in batches as we see a few people saying their scores are updated and others do not have theirs. Doing it in batches would also give them flexibility of identifying any bug at an earlier stage so they can fix it.

They could also be doing some system cleanup, upgrade or what not when they say maintenance.

Any other thoughts?
I am with you brother! I am a software dev (front and back-end) but I could not really comprehend what kind of maintenance CIC did. If a system is well-designed and well-structured, as it should be for a government website, any updates should be quickly done. Although there will be hiccups but should be resolved immediately, I believe so if the program has been properly tested. The update of scores can be done by just one script. The logic is very simple, as I see it. 50k active profiles is not too many.
For instance, this very forum was updated some weeks back. The changes were quite a lot, and substantial. But, it only took them a day to roll out the updates. IRCC, on the other hand, had long announced these changes, thus allowing their developers/programmers a lot of heads-up.
I'm glad that Software Engineers agree with an Electrical Engineer (me). Your first job application ought to be to IRCC as Web Developers. That way, future aspirants will have lesser nightmares :D.

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
This SQL query (or similar) would do the trick for a draw right?

SELECT "ee_profile_id" FROM IRCC WHERE CRS>="407" ORDER BY "date_created" ASC LIMIT 3800
Make it 407 bro. I might be in 3801 and you in 3802 o_O

Reactions: Lyssiej

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
That's coding with intelligence;)...
but again then how the condition 3800 will hold good if there aren't 3800 profiles above 407 ...?
idea of ranking was brought in to round off the number of ITAs...will that be done with the ones written...?
No s/w background...so ignore if illogical...:(

X

xibalban

That's coding with intelligence;)...
but again then how the condition 3800 will hold good if there aren't 3800 profiles above 407 ...?
idea of ranking was brought in to round off the number of ITAs...will that be done with the ones written...?
You made a good point!! The ITAs dictate the CRS cut-off now. My SQL query has a shortcoming, and must be amended as under (maybe):

SELECT "ee_profile_id", MIN(CRS) FROM IRCC ORDER BY "date_created" ASC LIMIT 3800

Sorry, like I said earlier, I ain't no programmer. Just a jack of some trades!!

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......

lino82

Apr 12, 2017
NOC Code......
You made a good point!! The ITAs dictate the CRS cut-off now. My SQL query has a shortcoming, and must be amended as under (maybe):

SELECT "ee_profile_id", MIN(CRS) FROM IRCC ORDER BY "date_created" ASC LIMIT 3800

Sorry, like I said earlier, I ain't no programmer. Just a jack of some trades!!
Yeah...that sounds perfect...;)...
u should suggest me for a BA job once we both land there;)

Reactions: xibalban