+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rate my chance of getting Study Permit

student96

Oct 26, 2020
Hello,

I have BS/MS from Mechanical Engineering. Looking to get CS education from Canada. Currently I'm thinking 2nd Bachelor but chance seems unlikely. What are some of the options?

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
Taking another bachelors when you already have one is a high risk and will lead to visa being rejected. I suggest you go for master, even changing from mechanical to computer all of sudden will raise doubts with the VO checking your file unless it is very well justified and you have related work experience. And you say BS/MS, so you have masters too? Then it is not at all recommended to go for bachelors again.

Reactions: student96

jagmeetsinghji1

Feb 4, 2020
Look for master degree course related to ur previous degree ...visa chances will be very good ..don't go for degree PGD or diploma

student96

Oct 26, 2020
Yea I have a Master too. Thing is I really want to study CS though. No point at spending more time on degree I do not like. I can write a pretty good SOP with well-justified reason I think. Is there any problem with trying anyway? Will it impact anything immigrant-wise in the future?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Yea I have a Master too. Thing is I really want to study CS though. No point at spending more time on degree I do not like. I can write a pretty good SOP with well-justified reason I think. Is there any problem with trying anyway? Will it impact anything immigrant-wise in the future?
Absolutely no harm in trying. Get an admission at a university, then write a killer SOP!

Reactions: student96

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
It is a high risk you are taking, that is all most people here can advice you. If you do have master, why don’t you go directly through immigration and then later go for your study choice, saves you a lot of money. With work experience and a good ielts score, you can easily get in through.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Your sop is irrelevant to your study permit application.

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
Your sop is irrelevant to your study permit application.
I’m sorry. What is that supposed to mean? From my knowledge as well as what i seen in this forum SOP is a crucial part of your application even though it is not mandatory.

student96

Oct 26, 2020
It is a high risk you are taking, that is all most people here can advice you. If you do have master, why don’t you go directly through immigration and then later go for your study choice, saves you a lot of money. With work experience and a good ielts score, you can easily get in through.
I just wonder what risk are we talking about? If just deny then I can live with it. Not desperate by any means. Otherwise if it may have serious implication on future visa application for not just Canada but other countries as well then yeah, may not worth it.

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
I just wonder what risk are we talking about? If just deny then I can live with it. Not desperate by any means. Otherwise if it may have serious implication on future visa application for not just Canada but other countries as well then yeah, may not worth it.
See, one of the major factor/rejection reason that a VO make a decision is from career/educational progression. So someone with masters degree in Mechanical engineering opting for a bachelors degree in a totally different field will be in his no go list. If you go through the forum, you will be find this as the rejection for most of the cases. But there is no harm in trying it anyway, if the VO finds your SOP convincing enough he will give you approval. No one here can foresee how the VO thinks. For future application you need to mention that on your file in order to avoid further rejections.

student96

Oct 26, 2020
See, one of the major factor/rejection reason that a VO make a decision is from career/educational progression. So someone with masters degree in Mechanical engineering opting for a bachelors degree in a totally different field will be in his no go list. If you go through the forum, you will be find this as the rejection for most of the cases. But there is no harm in trying it anyway, if the VO finds your SOP convincing enough he will give you approval. No one here can foresee how the VO thinks. For future application you need to mention that on your file in order to avoid further rejections.
So theres no harm done with trying? I am working in a multinational corporation and will be assigned to travel foreign a lot in the future. Would be stupid if I suddenly have to climb hurdle in getting visa just because of a Canadian VO.

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
So theres no harm done with trying? I am working in a multinational corporation and will be assigned to travel foreign a lot in the future. Would be stupid if I suddenly have to climb hurdle in getting visa just because of a Canadian VO.
Though Canada shares its immigration details with few other Commonwealth countries like Australia, New Zealand and few others, a previous student permit refusal will not have a big impact on getting a visa in the future.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I’m sorry. What is that supposed to mean? From my knowledge as well as what i seen in this forum SOP is a crucial part of your application even though it is not mandatory.
The visa officer won't read your essay and go, ah yes I believe this guy. WHY should they believe anything you write on a piece of paper. You can literally write anything down, and there's nothing to validate your claim

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
It's not that crucial. A good SOP can make the difference in a borderline case by clarifying details from the rest of the application, but it can't turn an obvious refusal into an approval.

P@1n

Mar 9, 2017
Winnipeg
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
Bangalore
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Passport Req..
07-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2017
LANDED..........
15-08-2017
It's not that crucial. A good SOP can make the difference in a borderline case by clarifying details from the rest of the application, but it can't turn an obvious refusal into an approval.
Yeah you are right about that, it can’t make something so obvious any less, but it can do you a lot in when you have something that is not a general case, for example when i applied for my student permit in 2017, i first approached a lot of agencies who straight away told me that i had no chance because of my 5 year study gap. Finished my high school in 2012 and went for work which was not a typical case seen in India. So all these people demotivated into not doing, yet i got into this forum, researched about it a lot, and gathered up the courage to do it myself and got my permit in less than a month(usual timeline that time was around 2months). I’m pretty sure i could not have done that without the help of SOP.

Reactions: shopnodana91