+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rant: My BOWP was approved even though I already received PPR.

kit23

Star Member
Jan 22, 2014
I applied for a BOWP on May 2nd, as my current work permit is set to expire in August. Then I received PPR on May 13th. I thought I would just wait until I receive my COPR documents first and make sure everything is good to go, then ask CIC for a refund for my BOWP application.

So unfortunately this morning, I got confirmation that my BOWP was approved and its on its way to me now. So my BOWP process only took 18 days (I thought it was going to take ~70 days as quoted by CIC website).

I know I should just be grateful that I got PPR, but I'm also really upset that I'm out $255 for the BOWP fee. It's a lot of money for me, especially after all the fees I paid for the entire PR process.... Just wondering why the person who processed my application couldn't also see I had an application for PR that was basically approved? I already sent a CSE asking if I can still get a refund, but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be no.

rajibsam

Jul 29, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whats your timeline?

COPR doesnt ensure you can work. After copr -> Landing -> New SIN. It may still take some time so CIC issued BOWP.

manidhatt

Champion Member
May 30, 2013
Ontario
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 03
Doc's Request.
Feb 26 - Submitted March 03
AOR Received.
Feb 03
Med's Done....
Feb 12
Passport Req..
Aug 03
kit23 said:
I applied for a BOWP on May 2nd, as my current work permit is set to expire in August. Then I received PPR on May 13th. I thought I would just wait until I receive my COPR documents first and make sure everything is good to go, then ask CIC for a refund for my BOWP application.

So unfortunately this morning, I got confirmation that my BOWP was approved and its on its way to me now. So my BOWP process only took 18 days (I thought it was going to take ~70 days as quoted by CIC website).

I know I should just be grateful that I got PPR, but I'm also really upset that I'm out $255 for the BOWP fee. It's a lot of money for me, especially after all the fees I paid for the entire PR process.... Just wondering why the person who processed my application couldn't also see I had an application for PR that was basically approved? I already sent a CSE asking if I can still get a refund, but I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be no.
Online processing time is 21 days. PPR >>>>> $255 :p

Reactions: Adanac11

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kit23 said:

1- $255 is absolutely not a significant amount of money in Canadian terms. They barely would get you food for 2 weeks.

2- Those $255 were an insurance policy for your stay. You can't just refund insurance money. You pay much more expensive insurance money when you get a car.

3- I had my PPR 2 months after officer recommended application acceptance as I knew from GCMS notes! They still promised 6 months and delivered in 5.

tatianatiana

Jan 26, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2016
Doc's Request.
24-08-2016
Med's Done....
20-04-2016
kit23 said:

Man, there are people here who got their applications refused after a 6 month wait. I know that it's frustrating, but I doubt you are going to find lots of compassion here.

Meya06

Jun 29, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once your BOWP application has been approved so any way you won't get refund, in my case I lose $1700 fees of acceptance letter for study visa after I got PR. :(

tatianatiana

Jan 26, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-04-2016
Doc's Request.
24-08-2016
Med's Done....
20-04-2016
Meya06 said:
Once your BOWP application has been approved so any way you won't get refund, in my case I lose $1700 fees of acceptance letter for study visa after I got PR. :(
You had to pay for an acceptance letter?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
kit23 said:

You will need a valid status at time of landing, not just at PPR. This could be as long as 6 months after CoPR.

$255 is not a lot of money consider it took a lot in the PR process and will take a lot more money to settle in Canada.

PN2511

Nov 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-11-2015
AOR Received.
5-11-2015
File Transfer...
3-12-2015
Passport Req..
18/4/2016
mf4361 said:
You will need a valid status at time of landing, not just at PPR. This could be as long as 6 months after CoPR.

$255 is not a lot of money consider it took a lot in the PR process and will take a lot more money to settle in Canada.
I called CIC twice, once the guy told me that crossing the border and coming back, will give me the leeway to do the landing even after the permit expires since I have the visa. second time the lady told me exactly what you just said. I am pretty confused

farmore

Star Member
Sep 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-11-2015
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Med's Done....
12-01-2016
Passport Req..
19-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2016
LANDED..........
18-06-2016
kit23 said:

Bro thank God for what you have. Some people are ready to pay 100 times of that $225 just to get the PPR

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
farmore said:
Bro thank God for what you have. Some people are ready to pay 100 times of that $225 just to get the PPR
$22500 For PR. Scam

---
$300 IELTS
$300 Medical
$550 Application fee
$490 RPRF
$100 Misc (Photos, Postage envelopes)
Total $1740

Optional
WES $250 (?)
More?

kit23

Star Member
Jan 22, 2014
Yeah, I realize now that I came across as shallow in my original post.
(but to those of you saying $255 isn't a lot of money - just know that everyone's financial situation is different)..

I'm just going to be positive from now on :D for those still waiting, I hope PPR rains on you soon!

farmore

Star Member
Sep 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-11-2015
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Med's Done....
12-01-2016
Passport Req..
19-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-06-2016
LANDED..........
18-06-2016
mf4361 said:
$22500 For PR. Scam

---
$300 IELTS
$300 Medical
$550 Application fee
$490 RPRF
$100 Misc (Photos, Postage envelopes)
Total $1740

Optional
WES $250 (?)
More?
I'm not sure why you said scam because I never told anyone to pay me that amount for PPR neither did I encourage anyone to pay anybody a loonie for PPR. What I mean by what I said is that we value PPR differently. To you it may not worth more than $1740, to others it worth tens of thousands dollars. I've been in Canada for a while and I have friends that are Canadians by birth. To them PPR doesn't worth a cent, but to me it worth every dime I have knowing the opportunities abound in this country as a resident. Just to give you a simple analogy, let's say you are considering changing your career or sending a dependent to school, as an international student you pay as much as $14,000 per session in some schools while local student pay $5000. Multiply the difference by 4 and tell me if PPR doesn't worth more than $22500 :D

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
farmore said:
I'm not sure why you said scam because I never told anyone to pay me that amount for PPR neither did I encourage anyone to pay anybody a loonie for PPR. What I mean by what I said is that we value PPR differently. To you it may not worth more than $1740, to others it worth tens of thousands dollars. I've been in Canada for a while and I have friends that are Canadians by birth. To them PPR doesn't worth a cent, but to me it worth every dime I have knowing the opportunities abound in this country as a resident. Just to give you a simple analogy, let's say you are considering changing your career or sending a dependent to school, as an international student you pay as much as $14,000 per session in some schools while local student pay $5000. Multiply the difference by 4 and tell me if PPR doesn't worth more than $22500 :D
You don't study in Canada for PR and its social benefits. You come to Canada to study for its superior school and education.

C$1740 is an estimate of what you should expect to pay. What a PR status is worth is more personal