+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Racism and immigrant communities

batwatch20

Feb 28, 2010
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what people thought about experiences they've had with racism (especially digital / online stuff) being targeted at minority-group immigrants? This article was rather insightful for me, and prompted me to look into things even more:

canadianlawyermag.com/War-of-the-words/Page-3.html

People like Richard Warman and Shane Martinez seem to be doing some solid work in combating those who target immigrants and refugees with hate literature. The online realm is an area in which some (but of course not all) newcomers might have trouble confronting racism within. Any thoughts on resources that could assist with this? I.E. settlement service programs giving newcomers a heads up on these things?

AATIFA

Feb 16, 2012
RACISM

Yes I have been in Canada for the last 2 years and seen racism. Canadian like to call qualified immigrant doctor, engineer but they just want immigrant do all labour work. i have gone through this reality of life. Even once you get an education from here when you applied for job even though your qualification and interview were good. They prefer to hire Canadian not any immigrant. they want us to do labour work for them. Most of the immigrant woman working in day care and taking care of their kids. if you go to walmart and superstor most of the employee immigrant who are highly educated from back home country. they do not have any option left except working in those store. this is very bitter truth of Canada.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
The link doesn't work but its a good heads up. Immigrant settlement organizations do not speak about this problem (since they're funded by govt. grants) usually portray Canada as a land of openness and tolerance towards cultures, which is mostly true outwardly. On the online realm however, and beneath any news article concerning immigration, or even some news report from say Pakistan or India, there will be a torrent of comments with anti-immigration rhetoric. At first, this may surprise people. I think the pre-departure meeting briefs which happen in cities (my family attended on in Karachi) outside Canada need to give people a heads up on this issue.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
AATIFA said:
RACISM

Yes I have been in Canada for the last 2 years and seen racism. Canadian like to call qualified immigrant doctor, engineer but they just want immigrant do all labour work. i have gone through this reality of life. Even once you get an education from here when you applied for job even though your qualification and interview were good. They prefer to hire Canadian not any immigrant. they want us to do labour work for them. Most of the immigrant woman working in day care and taking care of their kids. if you go to walmart and superstor most of the employee immigrant who are highly educated from back home country. they do not have any option left except working in those store. this is very bitter truth of Canada.
This is not a concrete example of racism. This is a problem of adaptation. Racism is when someone tells you to "f--- off to your own country" as you are walking to the mosque on a Friday. Or pepper sprays on the bus because you don't give in to their harassments. These are both situations I have witnessed with my own eyes and ears in Canada, and maybe only the first one may classify as exact racism.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
jazibkg said:
This is not a concrete example of racism. This is a problem of adaptation. Racism is when someone tells you to "f--- off to your own country" as you are walking to the mosque on a Friday. Or pepper sprays on the bus because you don't give in to their harassments. These are both situations I have witnessed with my own eyes and ears in Canada, and maybe only the first one may classify as exact racism.
Everyone will have different experiences and viewpoints. I've lived in Canada for many many years and have never felt any sort of racism here at all. I have friends and colleagues of all different ethnicities, races and nationalities and skin color has never been an issue at all. In fact, the only racism I've witnessed (wasn't directed at me) has been by a handful of newly landed immigrants who brought their hate and ignorance over to Canada with them.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
torontosm said:
Everyone will have different experiences and viewpoints. I've lived in Canada for many many years and have never felt any sort of racism here at all. I have friends and colleagues of all different ethnicities, races and nationalities and skin color has never been an issue at all. In fact, the only racism I've witnessed (wasn't directed at me) has been by a handful of newly landed immigrants who brought their hate and ignorance over to Canada with them.
I really find it amazing when people say that they've never encountered it - and that their friends haven't. Maybe your friends are too embarrassed to tell you, and you've just not been looking and hearing well enough to notice it? Or maybe you guys don't spend as much time outdoors (I was spending close to 16-18 hours out of my house daily, 3 of those hours in transit daily).

I've only been here 8 months and have encountered or seen at least 2-3 instances. I am well prepared for them not to be their last. After the pepper spray incident, I bought a car to avoid any such instances, as its more prone to happen if you're a pedestrian or a transit user.

However, the OP's post is more about digital bullying and racism on the internet. If you want examples of these, all you have to do is read the comments on newspaper articles.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
jazibkg said:
I really find it amazing when people say that they've never encountered it - and that their friends haven't. Maybe your friends are too embarrassed to tell you, and you've just not been looking and hearing well enough to notice it? Or maybe you guys don't spend as much time outdoors (I was spending close to 16-18 hours out of my house daily, 3 of those hours in transit daily).
I'm not sure how to answer that. I definitely do not go looking for situations or events where there is racism, but I do spend plenty of time outdoors. I use the public transit every day to go to/from work, and we are regularly out in the evenings and on weekends.

jazibkg said:
I've only been here 8 months and have encountered or seen at least 2-3 instances. I am well prepared for them not to be their last. After the pepper spray incident, I bought a car to avoid any such instances, as its more prone to happen if you're a pedestrian or a transit user.
Sorry to hear about your experience. It's a shame that you have already encountered such situations.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/commentary/2013/10/27/the_silent_racism_of_post_racial_canada.html

A very well written article, the incident isn't important but the subject matter she later writes in the article is.

An excerpt from the article I fully agree with:

"...It is an indication of how close below the surface lies the resentment of the “mainstream” population towards the “others” — a reality which the “others” are perfectly aware of, though no-one talks about it (except the activists). Toronto likes to pretend to itself that this sort of encounter doesn’t happen — particularly among the genteel middle classes. Crass racism is assumed to be the territory of Alabama rednecks; here, we intellectual elites value multiculturalism and diversity. Blah, blah. I have no doubt that, had we met in a social situation, this woman would have been all gracious smiles and cordial conversation, the most liberal, open-minded person in the world.

But, anonymous she felt safe to vent. Her note wasn’t about a parking space; it was about the silent, secret resentment that “native-born” Canadians have been forced to suppress ever since political correctness took the place of truth. The same venom can be found in the pseudonymous online responses to newspaper reports that have anything to do with multiculturalism. And Quebec, of course, is the current flag-bearer for such sentiments.

In a way, vile comments aside, I sympathize with these “traditional Canadians.” For the last 30 years, all attention has been turned toward the newcomers: their needs, their fears, their success or failure. At the other end of the time spectrum, the indigenous people also demand attention. Who speaks for those caught in the middle, neither new enough nor “old” enough nor poor enough to merit sympathy and social programs?

In the old days, these people didn’t have to pretend to like the multicultural onslaught; today, they do. The threat of the Human Rights Commission, not to mention social ostracism, hangs heavy in the air. A word out of place can bring ominous consequences.

And so they seethe in silence, with periodic anonymous eruptions. It can’t possibly be healthy — for them, for the newcomers or for the society at large.

Perhaps, rather than all the politically correct lip-service, we should seek out truth. Let people speak, let people answer. Educate rather than punish. Let communication take the place of hypocrisy. I’m sure we would all feel better for it. And maybe we would even start liking each other a little bit more."