+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

R1 category on PRTD

Anova

Feb 14, 2014
Dear All,

I need some clarifications please.
I received my PRTD category R1 on February 1st 2022.
The PRTD document was valid for a year with multiple entry. (expiry February 1st, 2023)

My questions are:

1. Can someone explain what R1 category mean?
2. Should I stay inside Canada for 2 years in a row because of that Category? and if I can't stay that long, what happens? what are your recommendations?
3. Should I apply for renewal of PR card after landing? or is it done automatically at the airport by the immigration officer?
4. what happens if I didn't go and the visa expired? can I apply for a new PRTD later? and if yes, will missing out on the first visa affect their decision to give out a new PRTD?

Please I need some urgent help, because I'm planning to go during the holidays season which means i have to either book my ticket or not, depending on these answers shared here.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear All,

I need some clarifications please.
I received my PRTD category R1 on February 1st 2022.
The PRTD document was valid for a year with multiple entry. (expiry February 1st, 2023)

My questions are:

1. Can someone explain what R1 category mean?
2. Should I stay inside Canada for 2 years in a row because of that Category? and if I can't stay that long, what happens? what are your recommendations?
3. Should I apply for renewal of PR card after landing? or is it done automatically at the airport by the immigration officer?
4. what happens if I didn't go and the visa expired? can I apply for a new PRTD later? and if yes, will missing out on the first visa affect their decision to give out a new PRTD?

Please I need some urgent help, because I'm planning to go during the holidays season which means i have to either book my ticket or not, depending on these answers shared here.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/received-r1-instead-of-rc1-on-prtd-applied-on-h-c-basis.697206/