+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

R spouses of citizens req'd to get perm Res or only if you need to work?

4maple-1eagle

Feb 24, 2011
I am a US Citizen planning to move to Canada in the summer with my family (my wife and all 3 kids are Canadian citizens). We are planning to move to Canada for 9-12 months for sure, maybe longer. to be nearer her family for at least awhile. I won't be applying for a job per se. I plan to continue running my small business fr my laptop, which is US-based and pays me in US dollars. The wife is a writer, and so will recieve some royalties and maybe a small advance or two. Since our future is uncertain, I technically could apply for temp resident status or perm residency, or perhaps nothing at all? My real question, I guess, is am I really required to apply for something under my circumstance or not ? Can temp residents still get the health care after the 3mo waiting period? How much easier/cheaper is the temp resident (family sponsorship) than the perm residence route?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a US citizen you can visit Canada for up to 6 months as a visitor, you can apply to extend the stay while in Canada.

As a Visitor you will need insurance, as in many provinces no health care is available.

Visitors Cannot work, but what you propose for your US business should be fine.

Note that Visitors cannot "move" to Canada.

Be aware if you get it wrong on your entry to Canada, your family would be let in, but you may not be. The decision is made by the IO.

Being married to a Canadian grants you no additional rights in Canada.