+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QWS program need help to make a decision

zhang82yi

Dec 2, 2014
Hello everyone!I am under QWS program.Now my application is at the federal phase and I am waiting for my ME request.Here comes the thing.Me and my girlfriend are considering getting married,however,she is not included in the application.

So the question is should I wait for CIC finalize my application and get married then sponsor my wife,OR should I get married first and then inform CIC adding her to the application? My goal is to save time and avoid getting me and my girlfriend apart for too long.

Also,if I inform CIC about my marriage,will I have to start the process all over again from applying CSQ for my girlfriend with Quebec Immigration,or do I will still be at the federal phase and only add my wife's documents as required by CIC?

Thank you very much!Looking forward to your help!

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,

I can give you only half an answer based on what I read until someone with more experience can chime in:

If you get married at any point before landing in Canada, you need to inform the Quebec government and obtain a new CSQ for you and your wife. For that you will need to submit proof of marriage, a CSQ application (DCS) for your wife with the required documentation, an updated application for you (but no need to send the documents you sent before) together a new contract for self-sufficiency, and return the old CSQ. They (Quebec government) will then re-evaluate your points as a couple and if you qualify they will send you new CSQ's for you and your wife. You should then contact the CIC to update your application and include your wife.
Now, all this is based on what I read (from the regulations published on the MICC website and other people's experience), but I didn't try it myself. A couple of points worth considering and asking about that I'm afraid I don't have the answer for:
1. How long would all this take?
2. Would you be exempt from the 6500 cap that has already been reached? (I would assume so but it wasn't explicitly mentioned anywhere)

Conversely, if you wait until after Landing to get married, you can then sponsor your wife (the procedure and application kit are on the CIC website) but that also would take a few months (depending on your visa office - delays posted on CIC website too) during which you two might have to live apart, unless she can visit you on a tourist visa (or without it if she's not required to have one) but she wouldn't be able to legally work or get health insurance. Here is one more question I don't know the answer to in this scenario:
3. The procedure consists of the government first approving you to be a sponsor before she can apply. Now I don't know whether this means you need to have already found a job and have an income before you can take this step, or can you sponsor someone from day 1?

I hope this at least gives you an idea about the two options. Hopefully someone with experience can shed some more light, but anyway I suggest calling MICC and asking them these questions, maybe they can give you some advice or useful information.

Best of luck to you, and please let us know if you find out more!

zhang82yi

Dec 2, 2014
MidoRafa said:
Hello,

I can give you only half an answer based on what I read until someone with more experience can chime in:

If you get married at any point before landing in Canada, you need to inform the Quebec government and obtain a new CSQ for you and your wife. For that you will need to submit proof of marriage, a CSQ application (DCS) for your wife with the required documentation, an updated application for you (but no need to send the documents you sent before) together a new contract for self-sufficiency, and return the old CSQ. They (Quebec government) will then re-evaluate your points as a couple and if you qualify they will send you new CSQ's for you and your wife. You should then contact the CIC to update your application and include your wife.
Now, all this is based on what I read (from the regulations published on the MICC website and other people's experience), but I didn't try it myself. A couple of points worth considering and asking about that I'm afraid I don't have the answer for:
1. How long would all this take?
2. Would you be exempt from the 6500 cap that has already been reached? (I would assume so but it wasn't explicitly mentioned anywhere)

Conversely, if you wait until after Landing to get married, you can then sponsor your wife (the procedure and application kit are on the CIC website) but that also would take a few months (depending on your visa office - delays posted on CIC website too) during which you two might have to live apart, unless she can visit you on a tourist visa (or without it if she's not required to have one) but she wouldn't be able to legally work or get health insurance. Here is one more question I don't know the answer to in this scenario:
3. The procedure consists of the government first approving you to be a sponsor before she can apply. Now I don't know whether this means you need to have already found a job and have an income before you can take this step, or can you sponsor someone from day 1?

I hope this at least gives you an idea about the two options. Hopefully someone with experience can shed some more light, but anyway I suggest calling MICC and asking them these questions, maybe they can give you some advice or useful information.

Best of luck to you, and please let us know if you find out more!
Hi Mido,

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I've had some friends who had done the sponsorship program.They told me you have to have a job before you can be a qualified sponsor and it takes more than 9 months to finish the whole process.This is difficulty I have to face if i choose to sponsor her.

As you said,I need to inform Quebec immigration and be re-evaluated as a couple.The problem is that my girl friend does not speak a single French word which makes me worried that if we can get a CSQ as a couple.For me,my French proficiency is also at beginner level.Quebec immigration refused give me CSQ initially.They gave me CSQ later because I sent they my college transcript and proof of a permanent job from my employer in Ottawa.Now I don't work and not even live in Canada any more.Im in my home country now.So if I choose to add her in my application ,there is a great risk,as I see it.Not to mention the 6500 cap as you said.

What should I do,so confused man.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hey Zhang,

It's not an easy decision and I'm afraid I don't know what the best course of action is.
I think you could start by calculating your combined points yourself based on the scoring grid and see whether you pass the minimum (btw, how on earth did you first apply without sending them your college transcripts? :D). I believe this should give you an indication about your chances. And in my opinion, I don't think they would take away your CSQ after they already gave it to you. After all, having the CSQ means that they want you. Also in the procedures guide (guide des procedures d'immigration) they seem to mention that if the re-evaluation of points could lead to a rejection, they may a) make an exception, or b) give you the chance to remove the dependent and keep your original CSQ. But then again, that's my personal reading and interpretation of things. Again, I'd call them to be sure.

Best of luck man! Let me know if you learn anything new and what you end up doing..