+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qustions about immigrating my Fiancee to Canada From the UK

Feb 6, 2013
Hello! I am looking into Immigrating my Fiancee to canada from the UK, and had a few questions. He is currently with the British military, and is looking to leave the military by the end of the year before we get married. He has trade certificates in 3 different trades (meavy duty mechanic etc). If I were to sponser him, would he still be able to get a job? or would I need to support him for the full 3 years? Also, would it be a better idea for him to come over as a skilled worker instead? So far, these have been about clear as mud to me.

Thank you!

ldjames

Star Member
Oct 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
24-10-12
File Transfer...
14-09-12
Med's Done....
04-07-12
LANDED..........
30-11-2012 (visitor)
Hi Raevyn,

Your fiancee is able to work as soon as he is granted his permanent residency (London processing time is anywhere from 4-9 months)- in sponsoring him you agree to financially support him over those 3 years should he need it- ie. he would not be able to claim welfare- it is just important to Immigration to know that you have a plan to support yourselves and that a new immigrant would not be a burden on Canada.

You can start applying for PR for your fiancee now if you meet the common-law requirements (1 year continuous living together as a couple) or apply as a married couple if you don't.

I'm not how it works with a military partner on active duty who is away for large bits of time but there should be plenty of people here who have experienced it.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
raevynblueeyes said:
Hello! I am looking into Immigrating my Fiancee to canada from the UK, and had a few questions. He is currently with the British military, and is looking to leave the military by the end of the year before we get married. He has trade certificates in 3 different trades (meavy duty mechanic etc). If I were to sponser him, would he still be able to get a job? or would I need to support him for the full 3 years? Also, would it be a better idea for him to come over as a skilled worker instead? So far, these have been about clear as mud to me.

Thank you!
If you compared the skilled worker options with waiting to get married and filing as married, marriage is going to be faster most of the time.

He could look into getting a LMO from an employer so he can get a work permit. Some trades are hiring foreigners - it usually differs by province. However, it can take 2-3 months alone to get a LMO. That's on top of looking for a job, moving to Canada, etc. (He can apply for his work permit at the port of entry.) You can check on Kijiji (www.kijiji.com). He can hold a work permit while the PR application is in process. Just be aware, these jobs have thousands of applicants. People fight for them.

Personally, I would hold on tight for right now, start learning about the sponsorship process for Family Class, get married, then apply. You can start getting your application ready while you wait. (Hold off on police clearance and medicals.)

One thing you will need to find out is if he was stationed overseas for 6 months or more, will he need a police certificate for that country? (I don't know!)