+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quit the work permit job

sidorovonline

May 10, 2016
Hi there,

I am an LMIA work permit holder, and my wife is an open work permit holder. According to the National Occupational Classification, my current occupation corresponds to the A type. Unfortunately, I am considering to quit my job. I know that to obtain a new job I need to get a new work permit. However, it is not clear how long I can remain in Canada if I quit the job. Also, can my wife be self-employed and is she allowed to receive the payments from her clients if I stop working?

Thanks

garyastudent

Sep 3, 2014
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sidorovonline said:
Hi there,

I am an LMIA work permit holder, and my wife is an open work permit holder. According to the National Occupational Classification, my current occupation corresponds to the A type. Unfortunately, I am considering to quit my job. I know that to obtain a new job I need to get a new work permit. However, it is not clear how long I can remain in Canada if I quit the job. Also, can my wife be self-employed and is she allowed to receive the payments from her clients if I stop working?

Thanks

Why dont you apply for Permanent Residency, I am sure with LMIA you have 600 Points and you will get the ITA in the next Draw.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
garyastudent said:
Why dont you apply for Permanent Residency, I am sure with LMIA you have 600 Points and you will get the ITA in the next Draw.
The LMIA isn't enough to get the 600 points. You also need a permanent job offer from the employer. If the employer isn't willing to give you a permanent job offer in writing - no 600 points.

sidorovonline

May 10, 2016
Yes, I just applied for PR, but since I'm in Quebec, it will take more than a year. However, I don't like my job now. Lately, my wife earns enough to let me quit the job I don't like, that's why I wonder if we can remain in Canada until we receive PR.

I called CIC and an agent told me that I should change my status as soon as I quit the job. It means, unfortunately, I can't quit the job.